Muzzleloader was short this year

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ML is over for me this year. MIL broke her hip and we are helping her get set up in assisted living this week. I was lucky to get a chance to go to the lease at all.

Landowner is convinced "kill the does" is a result of insurance company efforts (and I think he may have a point), so we don't kill does unless we need meat, and I usually give away the deer I kill anyway. We have a pretty high proportion of bucks to does in that area.

There is a little tag of velvet still on one point. Unusual in the area where this one was killed. He has an ear split from a fight, probably last year. No idea on what he would score. In the area where I killed him, scoring is based on the number of spots on the hide . . . CB

Attachments

• P1010062 - Copy.JPG
    P1010062 - Copy.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 202

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That palmation (or webbing or whatever you call it) is really unique and beautiful.
Nice deer.

Beautiful, buy not unusual around Lake of the Arbuckles.

Theory is that escaped deer-like critters from local zoos and private high fence areas have tweaked the gene pool a bit. I have seen whitetails with moose like antlers, and this guy has just a little of that. CB

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huh? Whose insurance company? What kind of insurance?

But nice buck, by the way; congrats.

I am told that auto insurance companies have for a long time been campaigning to reduce the number of deer because of the very high number of claims resulting from auto vs deer encounters.

Killing does is one way to do that. I know a guy who shoots every doe he sees (so he says) and is convinced that it strengthens the genetics of the herd. I think he's nuts and have told him so. There are many other indications of his mental instability, but I think the insurance company effort may have clouded his mind.:burnout:

Anyhow, that's the insurance theory:shocked:, and I think it may have some validity, though they would be unlikely to admit it. CB

Reaction score
Ahhhh, DVCs.

Well, if that's true, then the side benefit will be bigger and better bucks harvested. In fact, true or not, following it has this benefit. But I know of at least one other land 'manager' who subscribes to that same theory as your acquaintance ("don't shoot my does!"). Unfortunately they have it 180 degrees backward - they never read up on QDM principles.

But as I said, nice going. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom