My chickens listen to voice commands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok not all commands.
But they no longer dig up my flower area..
they do not enter my garden.

I yelled at themmaybe 20 times as i tossed small chunks of wood at them and chased them out with sticks..
Now when they get in the flowers it is usually passing through to the other side not stopping for long.

I can tap on the window and they will run out...
Or i can holler,,, get out of there! and they split the scene...

never do they enter the garden...

They do come when i call for a treat...
I had one go broody....snatched her off the nest after 3 days of that and tossed her in the yard.

If i caught her on the nest i could go in there and tell her GET OUT!!!!
She would bow up and get all fluffy and start bitching.. but she would get up and leave the coop and go into the yard.

Maybe i put the fear in them so they listen.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha! Ours do too!! :D Our broody hen will growl at you -- She sounds just like a dog when she does it. Freaked GC out the first time she did it to him. Like you when I catch her trying to "broody up" as we call it, I'll go out and just snatch her up pretty roughly off the nest 3 or 4 times a day. Doesn't take but about 3 or 4 days for her to get sick of it and just call it quits for several weeks.

I'm gonna have to video the hens coming running when they see GC ... He has them so spoilt, they will beg to be picked up (by him -- not me, I'm the mean old lady with the broom) and just coo and coo and coo ... Who'da thought chickens would make such cute pets??!? :scratch:

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Haha! Ours do too!! :D Our broody hen will growl at you -- She sounds just like a dog when she does it. Freaked GC out the first time she did it to him. Like you when I catch her trying to "broody up" as we call it, I'll go out and just snatch her up pretty roughly off the nest 3 or 4 times a day. Doesn't take but about 3 or 4 days for her to get sick of it and just call it quits for several weeks.

I'm gonna have to video the hens coming running when they see GC ... He has them so spoilt, they will beg to be picked up (by him -- not me, I'm the mean old lady with the broom) and just coo and coo and coo ... Who'da thought chickens would make such cute pets??!? :scratch:

They are pets. People are always wanting some of ours, but we never give them away. I can't kill them anymore, either, except when they are so old that they can't walk anymore. The youngest are 8 years old, and the oldest - 10 years. Still laying, sporadically, most of them.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha! @ Perplexed! Whatever works, my friend, whatever works ... :D

0311, I can, will, and have killed more than one "pet" over the years. ALL my critters are pets. I love them all; I spoil them all; I love them all; They all have names ... But every pet on my property serves a purpose. Dogs are for protection; cats are for pest control; everybody else is for food, or compost production. Consequently, some pets will have a longer life span than others.

GC can tell you he has seen me shed countless tears over "pets" that have lived out their useful lifespan here, or have reached butchering age. That is life on a farm (or in my case, backyard garden).

It just is what it is. Putting off the inevitable does me no favors. YMMV, of course ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom