Best chicken feed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished my chicken coop. It’s 8x12 with 9 nesting boxes.

I’ll be going to see a group of 10 black australorps on Sunday. If they look healthy and well kept, that’s what I’ll be starting with. They’re already egg laying.

They’ll be primarily confined to the coop until I’m finished with the fencing around the area they’ll free range. I wanted to start with an organic feed since they’ll be cooped up.

What kinds of organic feed are you using and are there any local producers you recommend? I have several local large feed stores, but would rather go with a small operation.

Kiddos are pretty excited to actually get the chickens. Lol

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no advantage to organic feed really. i have been using purina layer pellets. might want a fan on them if they will be shut up in this heat??? they will most likely molt and quit laying anyway. get a bale of good alfalfa and just let them have a flake every so often as supplement. problem with bagged feed this time of year is unless you buy from a store that has a high turn over? it can be really old feed and spoiled. check the date code on the bag and storage conditions at the store.

i knew some folks once that were so focused on organic that in order to get the feed they wanted had to buy almost a ton to get what they wanted. so they purchased the feed and withing a month it was all spoiled and the chickens stopped eating the feed,quit laying etc etc etc.

Last edited:

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went and picked out our chickens. We got barred rock, Rhode Island Red and black authralorps. Went to pick up 8-10, but ended up coming home with 17 because the kiddos were loving it. Lol.

It’s an 8x12’ coop and they’ll have about .25 acre to roam.

Now my wife is 100% sold on goats. She asked if we can pick them up next weekend. 😂

Attachments

• IMG_3888.jpeg
    IMG_3888.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3899.jpeg
    IMG_3899.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3896.jpeg
    IMG_3896.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3891.jpeg
    IMG_3891.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3907.jpeg
    IMG_3907.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3899.jpeg
    IMG_3899.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3888.jpeg
    IMG_3888.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3891.jpeg
    IMG_3891.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. My chickens will eat most anything. Organic garbage disposals. Other than that I feed only Shawnee’s egg layer pellets and scratch. There was some news sometime ago with a problem with some of the national brands feed. Probably not a big deal but I prefer local whenever possible

I also keep at least 1 rooster so I will have fertilized eggs. With the small incubator I have we are chicken sustainable

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. My chickens will eat most anything. Organic garbage disposals. Other than that I feed only Shawnee’s egg layer pellets and scratch. There was some news sometime ago with a problem with some of the national brands feed. Probably not a big deal but I prefer local whenever possible

I also keep at least 1 rooster so I will have fertilized eggs. With the small incubator I have we are chicken sustainable
yep fresh is more important than brand. i keep some oyster shell out for them also.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went and picked out our chickens. We got barred rock, Rhode Island Red and black authralorps. Went to pick up 8-10, but ended up coming home with 17 because the kiddos were loving it. Lol.

Now my wife is 100% sold on goats. She asked if we can pick them up next weekend. 😂
that house needs some ventilation in my opinion.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Intro to chicken math 101

Chickens are social so you need to have at least 2, now we all know that 2 is one and one is none thereof you need to have 3 chickens to have 1 chicken so 3 = 1 bantams are half chickens therefore 2= 1 and 1x3 = 6 so 6 bantam = 1 chicken

You have 17 chickens so you have almost 6

Latest posts

Top Bottom