My first batch of reloads!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No big deal I know, but its a start.
I was having issues with the Remington projectiles I had, they were giving me fits trying to get everything set up so I tried the cast projectiles and it went great. Now I got a few squirrel loads ready.
405 grain 45-70 for the Browning 1886.
14256488_1265893533455873_2136982762_n.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a bunch of bullets for a first batch.
You put all those in your pocket and your pants will fall down.

are you using black powder or a substitute?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it was a combo of the brass and projectile.
I mostly had once fired PPU brass and a few older WRA once fired.
The PPU would go through the sizer much easier, barely got a flare and had no neck tension. Someone suggested I put too much flare on it so I sent it back to the resizer and you could easily push the bullet through the case without any flare still. The cast ones would not do that (they both measure correct diameters) so I'm not sure why. All I can figure is the PPU brass is thinner so the ID of the neck is slightly oversized?
Also, the Remington projectiles have two cannelures...both of which are below the case neck when seated to proper depth. So I could not get a good crimp on them even if I wanted to and my rifle needs these to have a good crimp. Thats actually the whole reason I got this reloading setup because the PPU ammo was not crimped from the factory and when shooting the recoil would push the projectiles deep into the case while in the mag tube. Gave me an "excuse" to get the reloading stuff as I dont feel like shelling out $2 a shot for better ammo.

Here's an interesting link I found while trying to figure out my issue last night. There's a visible "groove" on the jacketed projectile but not enough to grab with a crimp and prevent the projectile from being pushed back into the case. I tried to give it a little more crimp and it just buckled the brass.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/32781-crimping-rem-405-bullets.html

14264191_1265781726800387_750588994851381795_n.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a bunch of bullets for a first batch.
You put all those in your pocket and your pants will fall down.

are you using black powder or a substitute?

Using smokeless. I do want to do some "Cowboy Loads" with a "smokeless" powder that smokes some if there is such a thing. I head Unique smokes a bit and would be suitable. Kinda the old blackpowder look without having the worry of corrosion and such.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like you were having some issues with the bullet getting pushed into the case.

When i load my stuff I set neck tension at .0015" or .002" and can go to .003" past that and no gains in anything .
I measure neck ID say it is .002" smaller than bullet OD I call that .002" neck tension.

I have Lee dies and the expander mandrel that goes inside the case I can chuck up in a drill press and spin it while I hold 600 grit and then 1500 grit sandpaper against it and make it smaller by .0005 or .001" or whatever I wish it to be.

That way I have some custom sizing dies,, and for very cheap. usually between $3 and $8 for an extra Lee expander decapper.

Tin Star Firearms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations on your burgeoning hobby. My brother and I worked together to assemble our first reloaded .357 magnum back in 1992 or so. Then we had a spirited argument about who was going to shoot it since we thought we might have accidentally missed something somewhere in the process. I lost the "rock, paper, scissors" game and fired it left handed(I am right handed) with a glove on and held it over the top of a wooden fence in case the explosion destroyed the gun and sent pieces my way. I was 14 and he was 16. We both lived and have enjoyed reloading ever since.

Latest posts

Top Bottom