My Garden Veggies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunting For One

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words,we always had a large garden when I was growing up so It comes pretty natural on what to do like tending to it on a daily basis weeding,pulling dirt up to the plants,watering ect.The best thing I like about my gardens is all organic no pesticides or commercial fertilizers.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words,we always had a large garden when I was growing up so It comes pretty natural on what to do like tending to it on a daily basis weeding,pulling dirt up to the plants,watering ect.The best thing I like about my gardens is all organic no pesticides or commercial fertilizers.

As others have pointed out... WOW I am envious.....

I have to ask how the heck do you do that without pesticides,etc.? I have gardened off and on for quite a while never had luck like that. Last year and now this year my veggies have been devastated by what I call "stink bugs". tomatoes are pretty well toast as well as the squash.....

Okra plants look nice and green but have NOT even started setting okra pods.

I don't even own any sevin dust,etc. But after this year, I may have to start.

my wife and I do all of our gardening in raised beds and have had pretty good luck until last year...... We have chickens and have normally in late fall taken a wheelbarrow load of straw/chicken stuff to the raised beds to let it sit over the winter. Learned my lesson years ago about putting chicken manure directly to plants.... Cooks them like a flame thrower..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have to ask how the heck do you do that without pesticides,etc.? I have gardened off and on for quite a while never had luck like that. Last year and now this year my veggies have been devastated by what I call "stink bugs". tomatoes are pretty well toast as well as the squash.....

my wife and I do all of our gardening in raised beds and have had pretty good luck until last year...... We have chickens and have normally in late fall taken a wheelbarrow load of straw/chicken stuff to the raised beds to let it sit over the winter. Learned my lesson years ago about putting chicken manure directly to plants.... Cooks them like a flame thrower..

With using the chicken manure, you might need to do a soil sample to see if it screwed up your PH.

Harley1953

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With using the chicken manure, you might need to do a soil sample to see if it screwed up your PH.

Dennis,

You may very well be correct. Could very well be that I have used too much a good thing - so to speak....

I think I will contact the local OSU extension center to check it out....

Thanks much.....

Hunting For One

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Harley I have had my gardens in these spots fo 4 years and have not added anything to them so far,after every thing is done for the year I let the grass have it till spring and then just till in the grass.I think the grass adds back a lot of nutients but I battle the grass all summer long.I also keep every thing watered on a regular basis starting before it comes up till it is finished producing.I also think the most important tip is to rotate your crops,I am doing a 4 year rotation.
My only bug problem is with Squash bugs the last 2 years,they get to the plants just after they start producing.When I see poatato bugs I go thru and pick off what I can find and don't have any more proplems till I dig them up.Dont know why but have never had a problem with tomatoe bugs

When I was growing up we always used rabbit manure because dad said chicken manure will burn every thing up.I think I may add a little rabbit manure this winter and let it leech into the soil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom