My letter to Cheaper than dirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you to those who made come compelling arguments to my post. Point taken.
reddog1 i see that you run a gun store, and probably have some steady customer flow. As a hypothetical, you charge for a typical shotgun for $300 for home defence, but cause of a dozen or so break in's of homes, you raise the price of the home defense shotgun price say to $700, are you gonna say that's just business or is that gouging like everyone says when gas stations do that? Not a flame, but a question.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a reason other than "for the money" for a business like this to be in operation? When my wife and I started a business several years ago we didn't do it to stand for a principal...we did it to make extra money. Should CTD operate at a loss to show support for the second ammendment? That wouldn't last very long as they would soon be broke...

If you don't like the company, do your business elsewhere. All of the belly aching about prices is making people sound pathetic. I'm really bummed that things are going the way they are...but sheesh...maybe we should ask the feds to come in a start regulating the prices of guns...yeah...that's it...a mandatory price freeze to keep those greedy business owners from making money...who cares that day 1 of MBA school you are told that the top priority of any for-profit business to maximize shareholder value...they shouldn't be allowed to do it when it is for guns...or ammo...or milk...or anything else I want to buy...

I have no problem with for-profits making money....at all. They are in it for the money. I am a firm believer in the free market. Perhaps that didn't come through in the post, but that is what I believe in, for sure.

I also believe that the change in CD's website suddenly from selling firearms and advertising them along the lines of "because you need the second amendment to preserve the first" or something like that (check out :
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...Slb9KT5hDYwCGMYQ6t5F6BY3WF6sBlatn5wCzqPCLdZbk)
and then suddenly stopping selling of ALL firearms and putting a blanket sign on their website saying "CD does NOT SELL FIREARMS" when just a day ago they were selling firearms is a little bit hypocritical, IMHO. Check:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...wtRIbvBopNqisqXxezLV0pZc2EoqHn3PvZ3BmvuZaN9SA
Not a sign saying we are temporarily stopping firearms sales, just a blanket sign saying CD does not sell firearms, perhaps hoping that new visitors to the site like the liberal media would believe CD never sold firearms?

It indicates to me that the top management panicked and stopped selling firearms. I have nothing against them for doing that....why get the negative press and suffer liberal idiots attacking you? However, there are some businesses who stand by their customers' values, and others who don't. I don;t hold it against employees at CD, who are likely firearm enthusiasts and 2A supporters (I mean why else would you work in a gun store, for the big money? )
Now it seems CD management has reacted to backlash from their customer base (who are NOT the liberals they were so scared of, BTW) and are communicating that we are reviewing policies, and will soon start shipping guns to FFL holders only, etc, etc ....what were they doing earlier, shipping them directly to customers? Of course not.

Just makes me wonder what CD does with their customer records and what they would do if some gummint dude came and asked them for it.
But nothing against them at all, free enterprise is great. Wish we had more of it in healthcare, for example.
And I totally agree, price ceilings are a very bad idea. In any area... except monopoly utilities.
IN conclusion, I plan to still support them, though will likely not buy a firearm from them ever, becuase I simply have no clue what their management does with their records and who they cave to.
:)

Last edited:

Jamez074

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a thought, maybe they do not actually own the firearms, but only purchase them when they sell from the supplier. Let's say with the run on the market, the supplier is having a bit of difficulty and can not determine when the next batch will be available because of the record amount of purchases. CTD could pull them off the website because they can't fill the order. You can piss people off for not selling, and or piss them off for not fulfilling their order. The market probably dictated it, not the higher ups. I am in no way here to defend them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom