My right eye will not be down for breakfast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had my right eye completely removed last Tuesday, and couldn’t be happier!

Some of you may remember my thread last year regarding my retinal detachment surgery recovery last year. Well, the retina stayed re-attached for about two months then ripped, pulled up a little, ripped some more, then completely detached. Unfortunately, due to the abnormal layout of the vessels in the eye, it was too much of a risk to attempt to reattach again (bleed risk). We had hoped that the eye would just chill and be comfortable, but that ended up not being the case.

for the past year, the eye has become almost debilitatingly light sensitive, burned, and always felt like there was an eye lash in it.

So after over a year of 8+ drops a day of about 4 different prescriptions I decided enough was enough. Luckily both my regular ophthalmologist and my surgeon agreed.

so here I am, 5 days after surgery. All of the light sensitivity is gone, and my eye (socket? Eye hole?) feels better than it has in a year!

And as a bonus, I get to wear a pirate patch for the next 8 weeks until I get to go get one of those sweet plastic eyes!

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple of observations regarding the whole process.

1. When I asked the doctor how long the recovery would be, I laughed when he said I could be back to work in a couple of days if I wanted. But he was right. I felt fairly normal after 3 days.

2. Once the decision was made: everyone involved seemed to act like eye removal was just a few steps above getting a toe nail clipped. Apparently, eyes are easy to pop out.

3. You have to train your brain to learn that the eye is gone. The one thing that has been difficult to deal with is that the plastic silicon conformer that is in the socket and keeping the space open for the prosthetic eye is NOT my eye. I have to place the metal tip of a tube of antibiotics through a hole in the conformer to instill antibiotics. Took me several tries to convince my self that poking a metal tip of anything into the center of my “eye” doesn’t hurt anymore.

4.trying to decide on whether to get a “cosmetically correct” prosthesis or something more “radical” can keep a man up at night.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple of observations regarding the whole process.
4.trying to decide on whether to get a “cosmetically correct” prosthesis or something more “radical” can keep a man up at night.
I'm glad to hear your are doing well after your surgery.

If I may offer a suggestion, you can go with the Captain America shield.

upload_2020-8-30_14-25-28.png

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry you lost part of yourself, but I hope the relief is worth the loss. Now you have a place to keep the extra change-and no one will think of looking there! There is a good prosthetics guy on OKC who paints the artificial eyes, been a long time but I''ll think of his name later. I dare you to get a Trump eye!

Latest posts

Top Bottom