my son is thinking about joining the national guard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
He should be a Grunt...then he doesn't have to do his real job on his drill and AT.
He can walk around with heavy sh*t and shoot things, and drink beer and basically be a caveman or a Viking and get paid a few hundred a month for doing it. Not many more satisfying jobs than a grunt.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was recruiting we enlisted those degrees from Arizona State weekly, I know things have changed and the guard has always been more liberal with age waivers but one of the funniest stories I have involved a young 35 year old walking thru my door and saying he tried everything else in life and was finally ready to join the Navy!

He had no idea that he was too old so I took advantage of the situation and told him his last choice was my career that I loved and get the fuc& out of my office, it should have been his first choice, lol. He said he would go to the next Navy office so I didn’t bother telling him he was beyond the waiverable age. This was in 1998 in Phoenix, Arizona. I was only a few months away from returning to the Fleet and it is my most satisfying recruiting story.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Degrees with out great GPA’s and a long list of desirable career fields make enlisting and then going the officer route an easier choice. Plus the bonuses add up, having a degree isn’t enough anymore.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d think he’s go for a commission if he’s going to do it, wouldn’t you?
Because as a Officer, you have FAR less choices than enlisted. Even at the top of your class, if you wanted to be a Infantry officer, you could end up a Quarter Master officer. OCS candidates have even less choice

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because as a Officer, you have FAR less choices than enlisted. Even at the top of your class, if you wanted to be a Infantry officer, you could end up a Quarter Master officer. OCS candidates have even less choice
This is 100% true. Besides, who TF would want to be a lieutenant? He's 33; he's already 10years behind his peers.
11B, and he'll have a good time and do cool sh*t, and he can move to another MOS.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d think he’s go for a commission if he’s going to do it, wouldn’t you?
Not at all. That's a farce perpetrated on people, that if you have a degree, you must become an officer. Noise.
Some of the best NCOs I've had the pleasure of working along side had multiple degrees...before they came in.
Some of the smartest men I know are NCOs.

Some of the stupidest humans I've ever met on the face of the planet were Os.

Besides, the wheel that makes the Army and Guard go round and round is not powered by Os. They're here today and gone tomorrow, but NCOs and enlisted are always here doing real work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom