NE Oklahoma Dove Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I grew up in Bartlesville, moved to western NWOK almost 30 years ago. Some of the best dove hunting we ever got into on private ground even around the Bartlesville/Tulsa area was never that great. I know it's a little drive but I'd strongly consider NW or SW OK WMAs for dove.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Bartlesville, moved to western NWOK almost 30 years ago. Some of the best dove hunting we ever got into on private ground even around the Bartlesville/Tulsa area was never that great. I know it's a little drive but I'd strongly consider NW or SW OK WMAs for dove.

I've hunted all over the states of OK & TX, and the best dove shooting I've ever seen was found down around Council Hill, Oktaha, and Wainwright and Rentiesville. I'm talking multiple guns (dozens of 'em) and multiple limits. Even guys that couldn't shoot could fill a bag.

The only place I've hunted that compared was in TX out by Vernon.

I miss that kinda dove shooting. 13 of us filled our limits last year on OD down in South Central OK, but the bird count was no where close to where it used to be back in the old days SW of Muskogee.

It wasn't as easy as it is out West. You had to find them, but man when you had them located, you could melt a barrel. They weren't near as wide spread over there as they are in the West and NW, but if you could spend a few weeks scouting, get them found and get permission, there was shooting to be had over there.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to hunt with my Dad and a guy he worked with in the National Guard on his place in Mustang when I was a kid. Right in the middle of town now. Had many a day you could shoot every shell you could load in the car. Had a big hedge apple grove they roosted in every night with a long fence row, they would fly right down that fence line on their way in. Before evening you could stake out the pond and slay them.

Another place in the '90s down by Lindsay. Same way but it needed to be dry. We could spread 15 guys around a pond and proceed to melt our barrels. It was non-stop shooting when they went to water before roosting, sounded like a war.

I'm seeing a very few birds on the high lines behind my house. More than last year but still not like it used to be. Last year was almost none and I didn't see a single shootable bird when I went out last year either. Used to be we would get a cold front and a rain right on opening day it seemed and the season was over when that happened, but if it didn't your shotgun was getting a guaranteed workout. Doesn't seem like that anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom