Need advice on an oven for cooking coatings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking around for a somewhat inexpensive oven long enough for a barreled action, maybe 36 inches or so. Can be something I can put an element and sensor/control in, or something already assembled.

This isn't a want-to-buy, just an inquiry into viable alternatives. Have consedered rigging up the barrel from an old charcoaler, a quarter barrel, and a few other possibilities.

What do you recommend? CB

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the measurement diagonally in your oven? If you pulled the racks and rigged up support, would it fit?

A cheap & simple plan B would be to find someone that has a larger oven and use it. Otherwise, you could cannibalize a junk oven and enlarge it by forming a box out of any sheet metal side covering to extend the size; Wrap a 55 gal drum with fiberglass insulation and insert a junk oven element & thermostat. then rig the mess to the oven's wiring and set a timer. Many ways to skin that cat, but a buddy with a big oven would save an afternoon scabbing a pile of junk together.

I've seen 'net pics of homemade powdercoat ovens, most based upon salvaging parts from a junked oven. Might be worth searching if you plan on using it more than once.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have built one before. PM me if you want any information. I have upgraded some of the parts on mine since that thread above was started. Also, like was said above, a refrigerator is great since they are already insulated. You can also use ducting with a heat gun used to heat it.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on the heat range. I built a powder coating oven with a 1x1 steel frame, 14-ga sheet metal and used a propane IR heater to cook it. Worked really well for several years until I finally bought a used Subway proofing oven that has a convection fan. I use that quite a bit. I will tell you this, you can find cheap commercial ovens like the subway unit on craigslist and at auctions on a regular basis. I paid $200 for mine about 8 years ago. You can also use the elements from a stove. Just need to build the box. If you are doing gun barrels, I would look into a section os double-wall stove pipe. Cap one end, mount a single stove-top burner in it and make a lid that drops in from the top. That would simple and cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom