Need advice regarding liability for online gun sales?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NEVER claim anything you are selling is Perfect .. tell them that if they want perfect, go buy new and pay new price.

this goes even if what you are selling is in like new condition. tell them it's not perfect but pretty darn close and that you don't want to get in trouble for claiming it's perfect.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NEVER claim anything you are selling is Perfect .. tell them that if they want perfect, go buy new and pay new price.

this goes even if what you are selling is in like new condition. tell them it's not perfect but pretty darn close and that you don't want to get in trouble for claiming it's perfect.

I agree 100% and would never do this. As a matter of fact that just came up w/the current Yost-Bonitz 1911 I have listed here on the forums for sale. The potential buyer wanted to know if the gun was 100%... of course not and it's listed as such. I do my best to describe every 'flaw' or issue one might see. Again, I did my best to describe this pistol in good faith. I believe that slide to frame fit can be overly emphasized by some people when it comes to 1911's whereas I think Barrel to Slide fit is most important.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I avoid selling firearms other than FTF, even if it means going long periods of time without a sale due to a limited market. Good luck dealing with this individual.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PP 'gift' for $500 and then Postal Money Order for the remainder.

He is sol, PayPal he won't be able to get his money back as technically he broke 2 rules. PayPal doesn't like you doing gifts for selling stuff and they are anti selling gun related stuff. And if the funds have cleared he can't get his money order funds back. Have you asked to see pictures of said damage?

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have asked for pics of the damages checkering so that will likely come tonight. I cashed the Money Orders before I shipped the pistol. I'm 'anxiously' awaiting his next email response and feel like he's SOL unless I want to pay him to get the pistol I sold him back.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Stand your ground dude. If you are confident in your posting and representation of the item then I would not think twice about it. If he did have grounds to sue I'd imagine that it would be in small claims court which you can present your saved emails or conversations.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't heard back f/him yet with the pics I requested... but we'll see. Maybe he's had some 'cooling off time' and reconsidered his position or maybe he's getting a case together to sue me.... who knows. Since he's in MN and I'm in OK I don't know how likely getting sued would be. I suppose the other option he could try is sending the gun back to my FFL and then say I owed him the refund. I guess if that happens I'll just have them return to sender.

It gets a bit 'gray' due to dealing w/a firearm transaction and the laws and such vs. if it was anything else.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True...

I think he feels I misrepresented the pistol. Had I told him the slide to frame fit was one of the best I'd ever handled and was really tight and snug... Then I'd understand why he's upset. However, I told him there was slight movement but nothing bad... and that's what it is. Price and pictures and communication let him know this. Had this pistol been in the condition I think he wanted it to be in it would've been +$1K more on my asking price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom