Need advice regarding liability for online gun sales?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I would stop. No waiting for pictures or other discussion. One last email to tell him you executed the deal in good faith and you are done discussing it.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any update?

The buyer finally sent pics of the 'alleged' damage done to the front strap checkering. In the pics he sent it does appear that there was damage done from what would appear to be someone wearing a couple rings on the strong side while shooting the 1911... and I don't know how to explain that. I do know it wasn't like that when it left my possession... My FFL shipper said that they did not fire the pistol after I dropped it off to be shipped and I have no reason to doubt them. Also, I don't see how this is my obligation to fix since it happened after it left my possession AND I never gave any warranty on the transaction. He is also saying the frame needs to be welded up and refit to the slide to give this a proper fit. His idea and my idea are obviously different. He says this is one of the loosest fitting 1911's he's ever handled. Apparently he has only handled top tier custom pistols right from the Smith's shop...

He has asked me to refund $300 to cover part of the cost to repair the frame/slide fit and get the checkering re-cut. I offered to split the difference even though I don't feel obligated to refund anything just because I hate that this deal has soured the way it has. He balked at my $150 offer and again told me (via email exchange) that basically my FFL must be lying to CYA their liability for the checkering and I'm lying regarding the judgement I used to describe the gun. Even though we had roughly 35 emails back and forth, many pictures exchanged along w/ a couple phone calls to hash out this deal prior to consummating it.

At this point I don't know whether to just refund the $300 or tell him to 'pound sand' and be done w/it. My reputation and integrity are working me on this one. :|

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would cease communication with him...if you are still 109% confident you represented the condition in good faith.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you sure he's not sending you pics of a different but similar pistol? Some people will try anything to get a "discount". Ask if there was any damage to the packaging and get pics if there was.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Food for thought on future sales.
Unless the guy has his own FFL.
A lot of dealers on Gunbroker are putting in their listing "Fully inspect gun at FFL Dealer BEFORE filling out 4473 form. Once you take it home its all yours. Do not call us and complain 2 weeks later wanting to return it."

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After trying to ship a gun to a buyer recently , I'm not doing anything but FTF. A guy wanted my FFL to fax his copy to his FFL before he would sent the funds. My FFL did and the buyer claimed that his FFL never got a copy. I finally told him if he wanted the gun sent the funds and I send the gun to his FFL. This was after about a month and 15 emails later. I never heard another word from the guy. I often wondered if he was really an antigun weirdo playing mind games. Screw him. I don't really need to sell the gun anyway.

turtleboy

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if he didn't like the condition he received the piston he should have told the ffl to hold the pistol. He could have taken pics, communicated with you, in a decent manner, and maybe then I could see you giving his money back. As it stands he accepted the order from the ffl dealer and to me that is as good as signing for in good condition as it gets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom