Need computer repair in BA or advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need a good place for PC repair in the BA area. Not the computer Dr. Have been there before on a previous issue.

Unless anyone knows why my computer will not power on. I tried replacing the power supply with one from another pc, but no luck. I know it's getting power since the Ethernet ports are lighting up. Beats me:smash: I would juse it to shoot at but got to much stuff on the hard drive i need. :explode:

willnotgoquietly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi
Please accept my humble comments.

Is the CPU fan spinning up? So in a regular PC the CPU has to give a feedback signal to the power supply to turn on the power. You get CPU power but nothing else until after the CPU turns on. I would check the CPU fan, Then remove, clean, install the memory [with a pencil eraser]. If there is more then one memory module, try them one at a time. Make sure any plug in cards are all the way in. Work them back and forth a bit to make sure. After that, its prob not worth the trouble.

Look at the drive and see what kind it is. If it is a ribbon cable ~ 2 inch wide it is an IDE drive, if a small 2 ,3 wire cable the its a SATA drive. Go to Wal-Mart or order on-line a external case with USB connection and just put said drive in and plug in USB to get your data off. You could also look up drive model on-line to find out what kind it is.

Good luck.

J

Joeh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not just data mine the hard drive? If nobody else can help, by the time I could get to it, I can grab everything of importance off that hard drive (assuming it's not the problem), then you can wipe it and start over, or use it for target practice!

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What the heck is data mine ?

A term some tek used to get money out of a customer.. Unless you are a forensic computer tek it means nothing. Just stick your hard drive in another computer and copy everything off you want. It just a little more complicated than that but thats the just of what can be done.

How old is the computer, that will tell us what you are dealing with..

JonN06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be a number of different hardware failures. In my opinion depending on the specific hardware issue your best bet is pulling what you need off the hard drive and just copy it to a new PC. I had one at work recently where it stopped booting and it was a motherboard failure. Hard drive was still good so I threw it in a spare computer and we were good to go.

Can you tell us the make and model # of the PC. Sometimes you can see if there is any known issue relating to that specific problem.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a compaq cq5110f and about 2 years old I think.

Haven't tried wholesale computer. Last time I was in there getting some parts they seemed to have a pretty long wait time, but who knows. Hopefully there is an osa member with a shop or something.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We always use Wholesale Computer Supply and its never been that long of a wait.

Whats up with the Computer Dr? I didnt know that place was even there until the other night when I went to Papa Johns to grab a pizza.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I took one in it took 3 or 4 more days than promised. They also tried to charge significantly more when I went to pick it up than what was quoted after they diagnosed it. After refusing they said they would honor the quote.

Latest posts

Top Bottom