Need computer repair in BA or advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a SATA drive, computer isn't that old and probably worth getting fixed.. Wished I had a good recommendation but I personally don't have allot of faith in most computer shops. I do my own and a few friends, thought about going back into the computer business but now that I'm sorta retired I don't have allot of time for stuff that looks like work.

If you have already tried another power supply and you are sure it was the corect one the only three items left that could cause your problem are the processor, main board and memory. Think this might be it...

http://www.desktopreview.com/shared/picture.asp?f=3290

I hate boxes that won't take a standard ATX board, if this is it and it's the main board pull the memory, DVD ROM drive, powr supply and hard drive then throw the rest in the trash.

Last edited:
W

worthirt_99

+1 on the boxes that won't take standard ATX or mini ATX. If you have two memory cards in there pull one and try to boot up, if still nothing put that one back in and pull the other one. My computer had problems booting up because one of my memory cards went bad. If that didn't fix it, then try booting up with no memory cards in there at all, the BIOS should error out, if it doesn't, replace your motherboard. If you don't get an error, it could still be your motherboard, or your processor went belly up. Unless you are in to overclocking, and it sounds like you aren't, I'm thinking your motherboard took a dump. Processors don't die on you much anymore. Make sure to check your memory first though. Memory is the most common of the three that can go bad.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the CPU or memory were bad, you'd get it to boot up and just get error messages, most likely. In fact, both of those issues it will often tell you which is failing. If it doesn't power up at ALL, doesn't even get to the screen with the booting information where it lists the motherboard, processor, RAM, etc briefly (this is called POSTing for "power on self test), then my money is on power supply or motherboard. Sounds like you've already tried the power supply, but I have seen some issues like this where one of the connectors was just not hooked up.

Can't really help beyond that, probably.

Sad thing is, those prefab computers often use such proprietary hardware that it may be problematic to try to fit an aftermarket motherboard into your case. But looking here, it looks like a pretty standard micro-ATX board. You may be able to buy a new motherboard and swap it out as long as the board physically fits in the case. If you stick with the same chipset (nForce 430) there is a slim possibility you may be able to boot to your regular hard drive, as the drivers installed may work on another motherboard. Unfortunately, the only board I can find on NewEgg with that chipset is this one, which is a mini-ITX board - unlikely to fit in your case. Mini-ITX cases will run you about the cost of that board on the lower end. But may likely come with a PSU.

It is a SATA drive, which is good - can be easily hooked up in an external hard drive case and the information pulled off of it.

Can be a bit of a hassle, but you can save a good amount of money if you aren't in a time crunch to get it fixed.

Hope that helps a bit, and feel free to PM me if you need more info or help.

X

xXVIPERXx

I would first start out by checking the power cord and where you have it pluged in. Check the plug in at the wall outlet and also, if you have a power strip you are using, check it also. It could have a dead socket plug in and also one should replace the plug in power strip every 2 to 3 years. Personally, I like useing the surge protecter kind. Now, re-plug the power cords into different sockets. If still nothing happening, Take step two. If no power of any kind is not noticed ,like your monitor will not turn on ,no power lights visual from motherboard. There should be a green light on motherboard if everything good . If not, a red light. If no light at all, and no power to cpu fans , no power to motherboard you may be faceing a dead power pack and / or/ motherboard. When you power up or reboot, is there a beep? If so, the number of beeps in most cases can tell you what is basically wrong or going on with pc. There is a code on the beeping . 1 beep may be the or mean cpu problems, 2 beeps may mean something else. The beeps may be long and short like morris code. "long, long, short, short, short. or whatever.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
tRdoc is exactly right. Compaq is one of the worst offenders when it comes to proprietary hardware. They don't exactly have the greatest reputation for quaility, either. That's not to say yours isn't quite fixable. Tulsa suffers from a complete dearth of decent computer stores, so, wholesale computer supply is your best bet. DO NOT GO TO GEEK SQUAD AT BEST BUY FOR ANYTING... EVER!

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I had the wife drop it off at wholesale computer yesterday morning. They quote 5-7 days, but atleast they tell you it will be a while. They tried to charge $50 for expedited service !! Guess I'm in the wrong business.

Yea it was a cheap computer. I don't play games or anything like that. Mostly only use for work stuff. Ooh well have the laptop to use for now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom