Need Diagnostic Help Please. Scope Alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have run out of travel on the horizontal adjustment in the scope. I am all the way to the right stop and still shooting about 2" to the left.

Remington 700 Stainless Laminate Stock SN: S6302xxx "300 WM" Previously used new to me rifle.
DNZ one piece game hunter medium height mount. New Mount purchased from Midway
Ziess Conquest 3x12x56 30 MM tube. New Scope purchased from Midway as a demo factory refurb.

I am going to take the mount to the shop tomorrow and get after it with a height gage on the surface plate. The scope looks like it is off to the right from the barrel as far as alignment goes. I haven't been able to tell much with calipers. I will also mount some one inch rings on the rifle with a different scope tomorrow. Maybe that will rule out the mounting hole locations on the receiver.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Does anyone have a set of 30mm rings/ mount laying around not in use that will fit a long action 700 I could borrow for a few days? I will pay shipping both ways.

Any other suggestions would be really helpful. Maybe some measurements I could take with the scope mounted on the rifle.

I really want to try and figure this out before I have to write Midway an demand a refund plus shipping and I believe I also will demand they overnight my replacement scope and mount free of charge. Sorry about the last part. I could not pass up the moment.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... DMV make a very simple one piece base and ring set that is pretty awesome and very easy to install, so I would say if the gun was shooting right before you installed it. The only thing it could be is the scope. Do you have an extra scope you could try out?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really want to try and figure this out before I have to write Midway an demand a refund plus shipping and I believe I also will demand they overnight my replacement scope and mount free of charge. Sorry about the last part. I could not pass up the moment.

Don't forget to tell them you will post what happens on OSA!

Did the scope track with your adjustments at all and then you ran out?

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not another 30 mm scope. I am going to put some one inch mounts back on there with a different scope and try that. At least rule out the gun. That leaves the mount or scope.

Yes ASP it did track. I pulled the bolt with it in a sled and lined up on target that way. The scope seems to track perfect just runs out of travel just as it is lining up.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the scope does not look visually straight and tracks then I would say that the holes in the receiver are probably not drilled straight. It wouldn't really be uncommon for this to happen.

If you have any sort of framing square you could remove the bolt and place the short end on the back of the receiver and use the long end to make sure the holes line up true to the bore.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would take everything apart and start over. Try swapping the rings and bases (move the back to the front).

You could hang a plumb bob from the receiver screws and see if it is off center from the bore of the barrel.

Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom