Need Diagnostic Help Please. Scope Alignment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the scope does not look visually straight and tracks then I would say that the holes in the receiver are probably not drilled straight. It wouldn't really be uncommon for this to happen.

If you have any sort of framing square you could remove the bolt and place the short end on the back of the receiver and use the long end to make sure the holes line up true to the bore.

This. Very common on 700s.

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is real common for Remington actions to have the scope base holes drilled and tapped out of center with the bore.
The most usable fix I have found is this Leupold base.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...ounting-systems/std-remington-700-rh-la-1-pc/
Notice that the rear of the mount has two screws that allow the scope to be rotated horizontally in order to zero the scope and have even windage adjustment. It is very strong, particularly if you loctite the two screws after you have gotten a good 100 yard zero. The front mount has a dovetail that holds the scope very solidly.

The correct way to utilize them is to center up the windage adjustment in the scope before mounting it on the rifle.
Once you mount the scope and rings on the base you can visually get it close by mounting the rifle to something pretty solid, either a vise or front and rear supports that hold the rifle tightly but allow you to look down the bore (after removing the bolt). Basically, bore sight the scope using the two screws on the base to move the scope and rings right or left till it is well centered.
Take it to the range and fine tune using the same method of adjusting the two base screws until the scope and rifle are centered. You should be able to get windage to within 6" of center with this method. Once you are reasonably close put some loctite on the screw threads and finish zeroing the rifle utilizing the normal scope adjustment knob.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would do something along the lines of what lee1000 said; start over at the beginning. Take it down to the mount and just visually inspect it for proper alignment with the barrel. When you're satisfied with that, try to take the scope back to default/center and mount it. Then give it the same visual inspection aligning it with the barrel.

Then, with the bolt removed, put the rifle in a stable position, a gun vise or rest, if you have it. Then look through the barrel and find a spot/object somewhere, on a wall, a barn or something that is far enough away so you can focus the scope. Then look through the scope and see where you are with regard to that spot. If the spot/object is about 25 yards, you should be able to find it easily through the scope. If it's not there, then there is something mechanically wrong.

I know, this sounds messy, but it works.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's interesting you are having this issue because I had the same thing happen last week with my DNZ freedom reaper 20 moa mount. I had a very qualified gunsmith and competitive shooter install it brand new on my brand new ar15 with a brand new zeiss 6.5-20 conquest. After installing and trying to zero the rifle we quickly ran out of up and left adjustments. The scope was checked and worked flawlessly....I returned the mount under the belief that it was improperly milled and purchased an egg riser mount with 20 moa. I mounted and sighted this is and it worked flawlessly. I initially had my doubts but it was a defective item. It might be an issue DNZ is experiencing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom