Need direction purchasing a pistol as a gift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For crying out loud... Just buy the gun and give it to your FIL. Why are some of you trying to make this far more difficult than it needs to be?
I think people believe there's way more regulations than there actually is regarding firearms. I had a buddy once think we needed to go to an FFL and do a transfer before he could borrow a rifle from me to go hunting when I would be literally no more than 15 yards away at any given time 🤣

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I think people believe there's way more regulations than there actually is regarding firearms. I had a buddy once think we needed to go to an FFL and do a transfer before he could borrow a rifle from me to go hunting when I would be literally no more than 15 yards away at any given time 🤣
I have friends that think similar things. I was having lunch with one of my liberal friends and the conversation turned to guns. He leans over and whispers to me that he secretly bought a gun from a guy at work just in case he needed a throw away that wasn’t on the ‘books’.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The deal is so many squirrelly people walk into stores to buy guns that they give people behind the counter reasons to be suspicious. I’ve overheard enough conversations while browsing the gun case to know that the person that’s planning to fill out the 4473 isn’t necessarily the intended recipient.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have friends that think similar things. I was having lunch with one of my liberal friends and the conversation turned to guns. He leans over and whispers to me that he secretly bought a gun from a guy at work just in case he needed a throw away that wasn’t on the ‘books’.

Wait... You lost me there.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The deal is so many squirrelly people walk into stores to buy guns that they give people behind the counter reasons to be suspicious. I’ve overheard enough conversations while browsing the gun case to know that the person that’s planning to fill out the 4473 isn’t necessarily the intended recipient.

That's true. I had it happen in my shop several times. But I didn't make up my own rules and claim they were federal or state law to avoid dealing with those people.

But this is an easy scenario. It's perfectly legal to buy a firearm when it's a legitimate gift for a person who's not prohibited from owning one. Go into gun store, buy gun, give gun to recipient. Easy and legal.

I do agree that the person in the store has no need to know those details for the very reasons we've discussed. It's none of their damn business why you're buying the gun as long as it's a lawful purchase.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I still know those that believe there is a registry. Not the typical conspiracy theory registry, but just a registry, and there always has been, to the best of their knowledge, and they won't listen to anything different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom