need help with a few ar builds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingelboy1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok so heres what ive got now, a 18 inch 1:8twist heavier profiled barrel delton upper rra lower eotech 512 witha a few ergo mods. i also have a New Frontier Armory lower for my light weight build

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/im2lame4aname/Tulsa-20120421-00178.jpg Dont worry i got a better sling lol

What i want is to put a free float tube on it with a bipod and a a2 stock with a good size scope. something like this (if its your gun sorry dont sue me for using your picture lol i just really like it and thats about what i had in mind for my own gun) I want to use it for longer rang shooting gun maybe thin out the coyotes around my friends ranch.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/im2lame4aname/howmyarwilllook.jpg

What i wasn't sure about is how people liked the a2 stocks for a more long rang type ar? my standard collapsible one now wiggles around a bit and i like the thought of it being more stable like my other bolt action rifles. Open to trades if someone is trying to modernize an a2 style ar15. Does it matter that i have a mil spec buffer tube? i know it all gets changed from looking at the pictures of the kits but wasn't sure. Also on the pictured gun that i am using as a build model the bipod isn't on a rail it seems and was wondering if the owner just drilled holes through the free float tube to attach it? Has that worked well for anyone? seems like the tubes are cheaper, nicer to grip and lighter than the railed systems and since its not going to war that suits me.

ok so now for my light weight build, i want it for 100 yards and in for plinking, light weight hunting and pigs.

like i said before i have a New Frontier Armory polymer lower and am trying to find a really light weight upper. what i dont know is if there is such a thing as a 14.5 inch permanently attached flash hider upper with a pencil thin barrel? I can find 16 inch pencil thin barreled uppers like the dpms oracle and PSA ULW. does anyone know if a standard (or pencil thin) 14.5 inch upper is lighter than a 16 inch pencil profile barrel? i cant seem to find many websites that list weight. Also im trying to find an older style stock like the one in the below picture to replace my more modern style stock because they look a bit lighter.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/im2lame4aname/IMG_2193Stick.jpg

does anyone know where to find or trade for one? my google searches for old cheap ar stocks have not been fruitful haha

i figure ill throw my eotech on it and MAYBE some flip up sights, i like the looks of the front one on the rra elite operator 2 but if anyone knows of something lighter and cheaper that would be helpful. Been checking out the magpul mbus flip ups and heard they could melt on a front gas block like the dpms oracle and wasnt sure if that was true or not. also the dpms oracle rail is too low for normal flip up sights so id havta change that probably.Is there any way to use the mbus front sight without installing a metal (heavy) quad rail safely without melting it?

thanks for all the help, i know im long winded and ask waaay to many questions, figured i might find some people who could help me out.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Almost 5, so I'll only answer a couple things. The A2 stock is good, there are better, but they cost more. Either way, you will need the A2 buffer tube, buffer, and spring. So you can get an A2 stock kit, then replace the shell later if you want.

I wouldn't go much over 4-12x or 4-16x unless you are wanting to relegate it to range only. A 3-12x with adjustable parallax would fit that kind of gun (range + coyote) perfect.

On the lightweight, yes, the 14.5 will weigh a little bit less, but not enough to warrant the inconvenience of permanently attaching the muzzle device. IMO. Something like this with a light profile instead of the M4 would be great for the lightweight build. Might cost a bit more, and surely worth going and checking it out to see what you think.

http://fatboytactical.net/cart/inde..._id=65&zenid=126f6214e7bf4b1897e06b4e1f73df2f

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have drilled and tapped free float tube for sling stud and attached bipod to it - very straight forward.
With that said - you can get one of these, and go shooting: free-floating is not all that it's puffed up to be, proper technique will get you very far!
media.midwayusa.com_productimages_440x330_primary_934_934186.jpg

pingelboy1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone in the stillwater area have an armors wrench i can barrow or use quick? I just don't want to buy something ill use one time when theres probably a bunch of people out there with one laying around and maybe someone local in the community who wouldn't mind helping me out. going to be changing out my collapsible stock for an a2 stock. leme know if you want to help me out. otherwise ill go bug a gun shop lol

pingelboy1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a local pawn shop here in Stillwater, Best Pawn & Trading Co let me use their wrench for free! A man named Josh Vansteenwyk was there and helped me witha few tricks to pull it apart. He is a concealed carry/tactical gun instructor both good guys! Glad a few gun guys could help each other out. So I got the a2 stock on there and out optics on both of my guns and they look like this (http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/im2lame4aname/Stillwater-20121003-00617.jpg) and wasn't sure if anyone knew if my scope was ok being mounted that far forward? when its mounted there the eye relief fits me better and i didnt know if it mattered or not. also my eotech, is it ok where it is? i used to have it farther forward when i had buis on my other riffle but i dont plan on using buis on either guns so was curious if both optics could be mounted anywhere on the flat top rail or not. thanks for any help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom