Upgrade My AR Vs Buy New

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahrk-9

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. A new upper and upgraded lower is an option I’d not considered but will.

In answer to what red dot, it’s actually a vortex spitfire 1x prism. It works fine but I suspect it will not take a beating like the Aimpoint PRO’s I keep looking at.

In answer to the accuracy question, I have no plans to compete. I mainly want to shoot fast when doing defensive drills.

In answer to sling/light setup, I’m running a blue force gear sling and TLR 1 and have been pretty happy so far but I’m wondering if I should be running a QD/s on the sling

My main reason for wanting a FF rail was for modularity without adding a lot of weight, allowing the light and fore grip to be pushed out toward the muzzle; but this is not as pressing to me as my awful trigger.

Thanks all!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I use La Rue MBTs for trigger replacement. That Spitfire is a pretty good red dot.

Lately I have gone with the Primary Arms Micro Prism with the ACSS reticle but I still have a Spitfire on one carbine.

Snag a deal on a complete upper with a free float rail and a barrel that you like and then you'll just be a complete lower away from having a back up carbine.

Edit to add: I would suggest getting your hands on several rails to help you decide what you like. There are many choices. This is my favorite right now...

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-atlas-s-one-m-lok-handguard
Good luck.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think other than a better trigger, a better optic, and a quad rail everything else is more than likely a waste of money for a “defensive” AR.

I have Geisseles and Rock River triggers in all my guns, and I like Eotech 512’s that take AA batteries. I also have Knights Armament quad rails on most of my guns. I have a couple with free float barrels, and I can’t tell any difference in the accuracy. :twocents:

Rick Terhune

Hawkeye68
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep what you have as a good start. Watch the Palmetto State Armory website ads for trigger sales. July 4th coming up and they will likely have a good sale on Geissle triggers. Then look for a quality red dot in a minimal weight mount. After that it is up to what makes the gun feel and shoot better for you!

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What brand is your current AR? If it’s a decent pedigree just keep it and upgrade parts. If it some bear creek armory type crap just buy a better platform (and still possibly need upgrades)

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@kahrk-9 is the front flash hider pined. If yes new upper. If not you can keep your upper and just get a new gas block and hand gaurds. Hell a new upper might be cheaper. It all depends on how deep you want.

Last edited:

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d say keep it and get one exactly like you want. That way you always have a backup/spare. Remember, 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

One of my biggest regrets on 5.56 AR’s is I’ve never purchased a pencil barrel. All mine have been midweight or heavy barrel. My “go to war” rifle tops out a little over 10 lbs. it’s a pig. I’m not sure how long I’d want to carry it. I keep thinking about putting a thinner profile barrel on it, and then I’m like just buy a new complete upper. Decisions, decisions.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
My “go to war” rifle tops out a little over 10 lbs. it’s a pig. I’m not sure how long I’d want to carry it. I keep thinking about putting a thinner profile barrel on it, and then I’m like just buy a new complete upper. Decisions, decisions.
That's why they made weights and heavy stuff to get your arms, shoulders, and back strong so you can carry a heavy ass gun around, lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom