Upgrade My AR Vs Buy New

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kahrk-9

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been at the range more and want to upgrade. I mainly shoot my AR 25-50 yards, never more than 200 yards, and focus mainly on defensive drills. I’m mainly shooting a mid length pencil barrel with A2 front sight and budget red dot. I like the pencil barrel and mid length but would like to free float, upgrade trigger, upgrade stock, and upgrade red dot. Is my money better spent upgrading the rifle I have or just buy something with a rail and stock and likely a better trigger, then upgrade the dot down the road. Thanks for you opinion.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of us build these things and that is a fun part.
I tweak my factory triggers and love them.
I do like my variable power scopes also.

I say trigger work and I am not so much in the free float crowd and I do have one that is a free float with same barrel as my others and no gain in accuracy at all.

I was told I would see better accuracy with free float only when you have been rapid firing and the barrel gets very hot.
I would never know because I do not do that.

We all like to have a certain look I suppose and some of us like rapid firing.
If what you have shoots very accurate i would not mess with it other than optic and trigger.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Free float as has been said for more accuracy after a few rounds have been fired. ALL rifles that are accurate are free floated.
10-22's, AR's, and Mini-14's all experience a loss of accuracy because of the barrel bands after a few shots which do not allow them to float.
Personally, I'd sell the one you have that is non free-floated and build another with the money.
Lots of trigger options out there that will made a poor shooter with mil-spec into a decent shooter with just that upgrade. There is a company in Broken Arrow Ok that sells a really nice drop in trigger for an AR at the 3.5lb pull range which is really decent for $100 bucks when on sale.
https://risearmament.com/In my high end AR's, it's Timney all the way. Rise Armament is close, and you probably couldn't tell the difference for the casual shooter, but a Timney is superior. Your choice.
Pencil barrels if quality made are pretty accurate if one is doing casual shooting, so we need to hear if you're looking at competition requiring multiple rounds in a short period of time or long-range firing over time?

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep your lower and upgrade it and just buy or build a new upper that meets your requirements for what you want. Swapping stocks and triggers isn’t difficult. Assembling uppers requires some more specialized tools that if you aren’t going to build more rifles you may not want to buy. Whether you keep or sell your existing upper is up to you but like Dennis said you could sell it to fund an upper set up the way you want.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been at the range more and want to upgrade. I mainly shoot my AR 25-50 yards, never more than 200 yards, and focus mainly on defensive drills. I’m mainly shooting a mid length pencil barrel with A2 front sight and budget red dot. I like the pencil barrel and mid length but would like to free float, upgrade trigger, upgrade stock, and upgrade red dot. Is my money better spent upgrading the rifle I have or just buy something with a rail and stock and likely a better trigger, then upgrade the dot down the road. Thanks for you opinion.
What you are going to do with it should be considered in the rebuild. If you want real accuracy go with a free float forearm and a Timney drop in trigger, the Rise triggers are good also. If that is not getting sub 1 inch at 100 yds you probably need a different barrel. A good scope with better cross hairs is better for the accuracy, red or green dot for quick shooting. And decide what caliber fits what you are doing. Building or having a different upper build is a good idea when you decide. I went through quiet a few to get to what I am really happy with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom