Need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msanders

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, first of all, I buy my wife a ccw. We practice(which is nothing new to my wife) safety, shooting, handeling, stripping(of the gun)and putting back togeather before I send her to the CC class. No problem. Does the class, gets her permit, and what does she do...you guessed it, leaves at the house everytime she leaves to go anywhere. I am tired of riding her #$$ about carrying it. Her excuse is, I'm not used to it, and I forget. And we practice regularly shooting, what to do in different situations, etc. Ok, about 8 months ago(1 month prior to getting her CCW) she is at a grocery store, walks out and is almost at her car. Some guy comes running at her saying maam...maam. Fortunately she was able to get in her car in time and take off. But wouldnt one think after something like that you would want to carry it with you at all times. For most people, thats common sense. For my wife apparently not. Now we just had a baby, and I keep telling her that not only do you have to protect your life, but you have a daughter now that also has to be protected. Unfortunately it seems to me that she may think that nothing has happened to her before, so why would anything happen now. Cant get it through her head that it only takes once and thats it! So now what do I do? Sorry so long but this pisses me off to no end!

Lady Glock

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you get her a gun that is too big for her to carry comfortably? What about the holster, is it comfortable? I love my G30 and can carry it IWB or OWB, but if it weren't comfortable for me, I would probably leave it at home. Talk to her about that. Offer to buy her another holster and take her to try some to see what will be comfortable.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine took the class, but she just wants to carry it in the car right now. As time goes by, she seems to be adjusting to me carrying mine and seems to be leaning more toward carrying it on her person. We'll probably send in her app next payday.

Milezc9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just got my fiance to shoot my 9mm the other day and she is still scared of it! i started her out on a 22 revolver then moved up to 9mm. i feel your pain man at least you got her to actually own one. wish i could help but i cant even help myself as of yet!

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you two go to H&H, go meet Tammy Pinkston. She is awesome and very knowledgable about women and shooting issues. She runs some 'women only' SDA classes and some 'girls night out' meetings to introduce women to handguns. Tammy can be a great resource for any women who are new to shooting sports or CCW. Fellas drag your favorite ladies to H&H to meet Tammy :thumb:

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just got my fiance to shoot my 9mm the other day and she is still scared of it! i started her out on a 22 revolver then moved up to 9mm. i feel your pain man at least you got her to actually own one. wish i could help but i cant even help myself as of yet!

Stay with the wheel guns. My wife hated my 9mm XD, she hated my brother in law's .40 Glock, she didn't care for my dad's 9mm Taurus(he has whatever the 92fs clone is)she liked her Walther P-22 and that was about it.

She said those other ones were too loud and she wasn't comfortable with it.

Until she shot my 38SPL, it's a 2 inch so it's all sorts of loud and she thinks it's great. Then I bought the GP100 and she took a look at it and said "Yeah, I want to shoot this one". I think on some level it has to do with the simplicity of a revolver. I think some women that aren't particularly gun savvy, are intimidated by autos and there are so many safety variations out there I think they get frustrated if they can't work it without instruction. With a revo you get what you see, it's a little wheel holding 5 or 6 bullets all you do is point and fire.

So like I said if if you have larger caliber revos stick with those until she's hooked on shooting.

buckeye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She may have done all that just to spend time with you / make you happy. Don't force it on her otherwise you'll both be miserable.

A wife requires more finesse. Lay down the facts, criticize her for not doing what you think (and what may very well be) logical and you'll get nowhere. She'll have to work into it her own way with your suggestions, not your edicts.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She may have done all that just to spend time with you / make you happy. Don't force it on her otherwise you'll both be miserable.

Agree 110% there.

When I took my wife to the range the first time, we took a lot of borrowed pistols.

After we got done, she decided she really enjoyed it. She shot the gamut from a Ruger Mark II to Colt 1911 to XD-9SC to Glock ?23C? to Beretta 92FS to .38 snubbie that day. I forget what order, but I don't think she started with the .22.

She decided she liked the Baby Eagle without even firing it (just picking it up out of the case to feel it). She had never shot a .40, but she LOVES that pistol.

I kinda do too... when we go to the city I have it in the truck as a more convenient option than the XD45 in the waistband.

Latest posts

Top Bottom