Need opinions on Taurus CIA, Ruger LCR, SW642

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor73402

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all

First off, does anyone have any experience buying guns from CDNN? I've got their flyers for the past 2yrs and they always have great deals on rifles/pistols. They sell to the public as long as you have a FFL they can send to.

Now, the main question.

I'm wanting to get my wife a pistol for Christmas. She has some shooting experience and is a decent
shot with all my full size 4" and 5" 1911's. She handles the recoil of a 45 just fine even though she is
only 5'0" and 115lbs. She's never had any issues at all. However, she does not currently carry and I
want her to start. I want to get her a small sized revolver. There are several reasons for this over a
1911 or semi auto. I want it to be small enough that she will not have any issues carrying it and it will fit in her purse, gym bag, sweatshirt pockets, and concealable with her business dress work attire.
Most of all, I want a revolver for her because if she gets into a life/death situation, I don't want her to have to do anything other than point and fire. No hammers, no slides, no safety. Your thoughts on my logic may vary, but I'm not new to guns, CCW, shooting, or personal defense so I'm not so much
looking for a debate over revolver vs semi auto.

Now, CDNN has several different revolvers for sale, but since I'm not up to speed on anything other
1911's and Glocks (in regards to pistols) I'd like to have some opinions.
They have the following revolvers:
Taurus 650 CIA in 357 for $329
Taurus 651 CIA in 357 for $299
M85 for $289
Ruger LCR in 357 for $392
S&W 642 for $329
Charter Arms Bulldog/Undercover ~$300

I know Taurus is a "cheaper" made pistol. Ive read alot of mixed reviews on the CIA models and
cylinder trouble until they've been fired atleast 250-300 times.

I've head alot of good about the LCR, but never had one or shot one.

S&W 642 looks like a nice revolver, but I don't know if the S&W of today is the same quality of the
S&W of years past.

I don't have any info on Charter Arms.

Any advice on any of the above options would be appreciated. Also, any other suggestions you may
have as far as a revolver of different make/model id love to hear.

**** Id love to buy/deal local. I'm all about trying to keep my money in the state and keep the small gunshops in business. If anybody in the state can match those prices or offer something else for a
good price I'd be happy to spend my money with you.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of what you have listed, a 442/642 would be my choice. They can be had without the "safety lock" so offensive to us old S&W revolver shooters, and they are rock solid pieces.
That said, the choice of ammunition is critical for practice, because the gun is light and the grip is small. I use wadcutters for most practice and Gold Dot short barrel .38 135gr for carry. I end each practice session with a cylinder of carry ammo to retain the feel of it.
The 442 is what goes with me no matter what, fits in a pocket holster and is easy to grab up for a quick trip to Wally World or whatever.
Several women students have bought 442/642, and some are using the Looper flashbang holster for on-body concealment (sorry guys, not for you)

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cdnn is good to go, taurus cia was the single worst gun i've ever owned and taurus had it for 10 months before deciding they couldn't repair it. no taurus for me ever again

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a grasp on what you're wanting to do.

That said, I have 3 Taurus revolvers and they shoot just fine and my wife has been carrying hers and shoots it with no problems.
I would not buy a used revolver without looking at it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I know you said you didn't really want the revo vs auto debate, but a couple quick comments that my wife and I have dealt with.

Has your wife shot the small revolvers and small autos? I would go with whichever she enjoys shooting the most, because that will mean she'd practice with it more.

Final thought, my wife had a 642 for carry, but has adopted my KT PF-9 for carry as it is much slimmer, and actually a couple ounces lighter. And she is a staunch wheelgun girl.

Now, for the guns you mentioned, the 642 is probably the safest bet, the least unknowns. I still want to try the Ruger LCR, but as of yet have no personal experience. Keep in mind that with most of the carry methods you mentioned, weight will come at a premium.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you said you didn't really want the revo vs auto debate, but a couple quick comments that my wife and I have dealt with.

Has your wife shot the small revolvers and small autos? I would go with whichever she enjoys shooting the most, because that will mean she'd practice with it more.

Final thought, my wife had a 642 for carry, but has adopted my KT PF-9 for carry as it is much slimmer, and actually a couple ounces lighter. And she is a staunch wheelgun girl.

Now, for the guns you mentioned, the 642 is probably the safest bet, the least unknowns. I still want to try the Ruger LCR, but as of yet have no personal experience. Keep in mind that with most of the carry methods you mentioned, weight will come at a premium.

This, my GF went with a Kahr, in the end she just shot significantly better with it compared to my snubbies and that's priority one with everything else taking a distant back seat. Better platform and better caliber.

Anyways, out of the choices I'd go 442/642.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the 642 and the LCR. I bought an LCR for my mom and she loves it. I just bought an LCR for my wife a few months ago. She really likes it. It is light and easy to carry.

Trevor73402

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies guys. They are greatly appreciated.

Still undecided between the LCR and the 642. Hell, I may just buy both and see which one she takes a liking to the best and I'll take the other as a extra/backup to my STI Gaurdian.

To comment on something that was said above. My wife shoots very well with anything I put in her
hand. It doesn't matter if it's a 5" Kimber, a 4" STI, a Colt Commander 9mm, or a 16 pound tactical
6.5x47L. She will carry it regardless of what it is. However, if by some chance she was ever faced with a threat situation and someone attacked her, I don't want her to have to worry about anything other
than drawing the pistol, pointing it, and firing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom