New 50 year old toy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to believe anyone would want to bother with film and the extra cost.

The digital camera surely gave rise to the numbee of pics taken
And loaded on a computer drive. Computer crashes and all pics lost.

Not the same as finding a shoe box full of old photos and sitting around the table going through them.

I had a Canon AE-1 and 4 lenses. Took lots of pics. Now, I have phone constantly with me. Rarely take pics.

Son took the Canon for a family vacation. While in a restaurant, some azzhat busted the window and snatched the camera bag, sitting in the seat.

I have looked at a couple of pawn shop finds, but haven't pulled the trigger.

I have Mom's Polaroid, she got it new, back around mid-60's. It still takes pretty decent pics.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eighth grade (70's) I was going to school in Boise Idaho. I had all the basic classes and had to choose other classes to fill in the blanks.
One I chose was photography. Well my parents considered a camera was a camera.

So they sent me to school with a Kodak 110.
Teacher said I needed a 35mm and that Kodak wouldn't cut it.

So my mom took me to a used camera store and pretty sure she picked out the cheapest 35mm ever made. I don't remember the brand but it worked exactly like that Kodak 110.

There was no adjustment for anything. No way to change lens. Needless to say I didn't do too well. But I had a 35mm. 😡

Last edited:

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where do you even get stuff developed anymore? Can't remember last time I've seen a kiosk or developing machine.
I’ve been sending my film to thedarkroom.com. They are sadly in commiefornicatia, but they do good work. They offer much higher digital resolution scans, can do custom development processes and more. They usually have downloadable proof scans available on line shortly after they receive the film. Oh yea, the prints look great.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to believe anyone would want to bother with film and the extra cost.

The digital camera surely gave rise to the numbee of pics taken

Yeppers...

...in my days of film cameras only, I might be able to afford 6 or 7 rolls of film to take on a one week vacation. Then, after that week of picture taking, it might be the rest of the year for me to afford to get those 6 or7 rolls developed.

After going digital in 2000, the only pictures lost were because of a corrupted memory card in my first camera. Maybe I lost about 200 pictures in that case. Now, my Smugmug site has over 55,000 photos on it, and those are all backed up on two different hard drives. Now, in all honesty, not all those photos on Smugmug were taken by me. I have posted some there that I like embedding in forum comments that aren't mine.

Digital is great in that one doesn't have to skip taking a picture because of a shortage of film or the money to buy and develop said film.

scootertrs

Marksman
Reaction score
Wow... Who remembers what its like to set up a negative in a large format camera. Using a focusing screen while focusing and getting the lighting/framing/composition/animals/garbage/mountains/rivers/etc. etc. etc. then holding your breath waiting for that magical "this is it" moment when you pressed on the shutter assuming you had the right speed film, right focus angle, right depth of field, so on and so forth... for one shot!
Now, you see "photographers" taking 3000 frames for a wedding venue, and photo-shopping to get a decent album... and you see that not one of the pics has the catch light in the right place on the model's eye,
I have to admit, in general it has been great for the hobby getting a lot of interest without having to learn the basics, but it has also creating millions of mediocre at best photographs, which will never have a shot at creating that iconic National Geographic cover picture of
1672096530137.png

It's a shame. I feel we have a lot more to give and are surrendering to being lazy. This is my 2 bits as a newbie, and I promise to dust off my Canon F-1 or god forbid my Mamiya ProS 67 and take some pics (while using a light meter and applying the rule of 1/3's). Happy new Year all!

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where do you even get stuff developed anymore? Can't remember last time I've seen a kiosk or developing machine.
I’ve been developing my black and white with a homemade concoction called Caffenol. It uses instant coffee, sodium carbonate (washing soda) and vitamin C. I still use a commercial fixer, but have read a swimming pool chemical will work as a fixer, just haven’t tried it.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a color developing kit, just hadn’t gotten around to it yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom