New 6.5 Creedmoor Shooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetiredTater

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up the Norma Whitetail 140 grn for $26.80 a box on Texas Ammunition when I bought my barrel.

I then got some Hornady American Whitetail 129 grn for $20 a box and Winchester Deer Season 125 Grn for $35 a box from Academy back in May, shortly before if got my Encore barrel. I only have about 30 rounds through it thus far and doesn't seem to like either of the three better than the others.

Breaking it in, has been slow, 2 to 3 rounds, clean, cool, shoot, clean, cool.

I am trying to break it in the way Thompson recommends. It is a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, 1:8 twist, 26" barrel in stainless. Mounted a Vortex 6-24 x 50 on it, and it is a lot more scope than I need now, but this don't need to change scopes.

For the ammo recommendation, find what it likes best (guns can be picky as we know) and when you start reloading, start as close as possible.

With my Franchi 30-06, it likes 185 grns, but shoots 165 well. So I reload with 185 SSTs and even with checking sight in, still punches the center at 100 yards. Dropped a decent buck at 75 yards and a doe at 125 yards putting it right where I wanted. Doe walked about 5 steps.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine does not like 129 gr, but it really does like 140-143gr.

That being said, yours might. Best just to get what you can get right now, go through break in and then see what it really likes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom