New 6.5 Creedmoor Shooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I now have a Ruger American Hunter in 6.5. I'll need some range time, can I get some suggestions on where/what to start with in regards to ammo? There's the well known brands (with cost) and not so well known (with not as much cost), not sure where to start. At some point I intend to transition to using it for deer.

I've read that most rifles like the Hornady 143gr ELD-X and the 140gr American Gunner. I can start there but if I can get away with a little lower cost, I'm for that as well.
If I can find some.

Thanks.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use the cheap stuff for the first 40-60 rounds as you break the barrel in. After that your own ammo suggestions seem like a good start.

Crap ammo is the best way to make a 1 MOA rifle...a 2 MOA rifle. Don't cheap out and expect premium results.
This^^^^^^^^

Honestly, what I do with every one of my weapons is practice with cheap ammo, and hunt with the nicest, most expensive stuff I can find. IF it’s what it shoots the best. For example, in 308 I just shoot whatever cheap stuff through it if I’m plinking, but before I took it out hunting I bought two boxes of federal terminal ascent 175gr ammo at $75 ish a box. Rifle shoots amazing with it, and the round performs well on game too. Sighted it in/practiced with half a box, keep one box for hunting ammo, and I have 10 rounds left over to double check my zero each season for the next two years. Since then I’ve bought more of it, but it’s a good way to start things off if you want the best results at the lowest cost.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady superformance in the 143 grain ELDX is great the hornady superformance in 129 grain (SST’s) is a great one also daughter and her son shot several over the last couple years I been reloading for it for about the last 3 years or so

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand the crap ammo thing, just wondering if there was anything a little less than the Hornady cost that was 'decent' for shooting paper or at least something above 'crap'.

I’m still on the search for one of those priced decently.

I actually got this off of Armslist.
Decent price? Subjective I suppose but what I paid isn't rubbing me the wrong way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom