New AR owner...Function Test Dry Fire...Is it ok?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcgoree

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got a new AR-15. Upon field stripping it and re-assembling it, the first function test action is to depress the trigger causing a dry fire. Now is this going to hurt my rifle? Would it be better to buy some dummy rounds to absorb this action? Or is it just fine to dry fire it? I do not want to mess my rifle up. Any help would be appreciated. I have seen so many mixed messages on what is appropriate and what is not.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much all centerfire rifles and pistols are safe to dry fire. You didn't hurt anything. You have to dry fire it on assembly, brand new on the line.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I've heard is not to dry fire it without the upper pinned in place, it can damage the bolt release. Not really sure how true this is though.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing I've heard is not to dry fire it without the upper pinned in place, it can damage the bolt release. Not really sure how true this is though.

It can (and does sometimes) crack the aluminium wall that forms the backside of the well the bolt catch is in.

Same with a 1911 do not dry fire with the slide off of the weapon it beats the snot out of the back of your frame.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...and since we sometimes like to split hairs, the actual first step of the function check action is: Attempt to place the weapon on Safe. ;)

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

One of our officers broke his bolt release due to a dry fire without the upper in place. I think it's rare but it can happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom