New Hunting Partner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredTU2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to Choctaw yesterday and picked up Cabela - call name Cabi. She was born 12-09-09. She is the runt of the litter because the Boss Lady does not like big dogs and my last one was a Chesapeake. Cabi is a Boykin Spaniel. According to the breeder she should weigh about 20 pounds when she is grown. Boykins are known as dynamic hunters........ Can't wait for duck and pheasant season later this year. I will post pics when I figure out how.

minman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on your new partner. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

On a side note, what did you think about your Chesapeake as far as a family and hunting dog? I'm wanting to get a retriever within the next year, and have been thinking for a while about a Chessie rather than a Labrador. I don't mind the large dog issue, but I want a dog that is first a great family dog, as well as a great hunting dog.

retiredTU2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About Chessies. mine was born in 1992 and was a little over 85 pounds and a male. He just about raised the first four of my grandchildren. If you train them correctly, they are great family dogs. If you have trained dogs in the past, they are easy enough to train. You just have to know how to relate to them. My grands took great delight in leading mine around the backyard from the time each of them was about 3 years old. The youngest of those four was standing eye to eye with him when she was two and telling him ,"Cache boy, SIT!" He would do it too! If you would like some hints on training one pm me.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new family member and hunting partner. If you don't mind me asking, where in Choctaw did you pick her up?

crazyfish

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new family member and hunting partner. If you don't mind me asking, where in Choctaw did you pick her up?

I was wondering that too. My hunting buddy of 11 years passed away last fall. I was looking at th Boykin spaniels, but didn't know there was a local breeder.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with runts at all, my current Lab was a 4 week old puppy dump off. She is only 46lbs right now and she is one of the best dogs I have ever had or been around.

retiredTU2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got her at Copper Creek Boykins about two miles south of I-40 on Choctaw Road. Telephone 405-473-9956. She has two males left from the litter. Took Cabi to the vet this afternoon. He is an old friend of mine and has been my vet for a long, long time. Cabi has a small heart murmur. Now, I am faced with the decision to either take Cabi back and get one of the males or keep her and hope the murmur corrects itself. She is so feisty..... very small and already carrying a tennis ball in a mouth that looks much too small to handle one!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear about your new partner, but not so glad to hear about the heart murmer. Not a vet and don't know if they will grow out of it? Tough decision, as they work their way into your heart pretty quick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom