New Oklahoma Record Buck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it wasn't broken it had the potential to be a world record or darned close to it. All the hunting rags have been saying for the last couple of years that Ok may have the next world record.
What that has done is brought in out of state trophy hunters that leases up ground for high dollar. The days of knocking on a door to get permission is just about over.
Was at the farms today, stopping in for lunch at the local eatery. Tags from Tx, Ks, Missouri and Arkansas were parked with trailers loaded with blinds and ladder stands. It gets worse when gun season rolls around.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a heck of a gallery of antlers. If you go to places like Pennsylvania, an 8 point that scores 100" is a trophy. I remember a few years ago when they put antler restrictions on about half of the state to get bigger bucks, the Governor just about got ran out of town on a rail, tarred and feathered.
Yes it is! I saw those and I had to go look up my wife's cousin's deer on Cy Curtis.

He shot a 10 pointer on my land (now, but not then) is SE OK. A 10 pointer that finished 171 2/8. He was on the decline as he only weighed 124lbs IIRC. His buddy shot an 8 pointer the same weekend that weighed in the 140's but didn't have the rack to match. Damn, where has the time went? That was 1993!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it wasn't broken it had the potential to be a world record or darned close to it. All the hunting rags have been saying for the last couple of years that Ok may have the next world record.
What that has done is brought in out of state trophy hunters that leases up ground for high dollar. The days of knocking on a door to get permission is just about over.
Was at the farms today, stopping in for lunch at the local eatery. Tags from Tx, Ks, Missouri and Arkansas were parked with trailers loaded with blinds and ladder stands. It gets worse when gun season rolls around.

I actually had a guy from OKC call me a couple weeks ago wanting to lease my place.

That’s got to be a new one. An Okie calling a Texan to lease land in Oklahoma.:lmfao:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I actually had a guy from OKC call me a couple weeks ago wanting to lease my place.

That’s got to be a new one. An Okie calling a Texan to lease land in Oklahoma.:lmfao:
HAHA!! We get calls like that occasionally. People evidently scan the property rolls to see if someone doesn't actually live on the property, and think a non resident landowner might give permission or something. A polite no, we hunt it is the answer.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
HAHA!! We get calls like that occasionally. People evidently scan the property rolls to see if someone doesn't actually live on the property, and think a non resident landowner might give permission or something. A polite no, we hunt it is the answer.

Retrieverman was nicer than I expected when I called, I guess I should have offered more????? :anyone:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a really nice Okla. deer.

I may be alone here and I know some folks find them unappealing and butt ugly but I've always wanted to get a "non typical"......there's just something about a "non typical" rack that really trips my trigger.

Also, I find absolutely nothing wrong with hunters that will let deer pass and hold out for a nice rack but I'll confess that I've never been a horn hunter and I'll take the first legal deer, doe or buck, that comes by......I guess that would classify me as a meat hunter and not a trophy hunter.

Example of a nice non-typical.

montana-non-typical-whitetail.jpg

Last edited:

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis when we visited and you said you hunt, I didn't think it would be polite to ask. When I was looking at google earth to find a distances on your land to shoot the bowling ball mortar, I noticed some places that would make me ask if you didn't hunt.

After this last bout of knee and back surgery and the cost of leasing buy and buying equipment It seems for about the same money and a lot less effort, I can pay an outfitter to hunt. I never thought I would get to this point in my life but I have. Especially since I now have OK plates and drivers license. I will miss still hunting in the snow up in Montana-then maybe not. I have never seen bucks like this big one up in Montana. Seen some big ones, just not this big.

Latest posts

Top Bottom