New outboard ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a early 70's 20HP 2-stroke Mercury outboard engine on my 15' flat bottom boat. It's given me some fits (carb)over the past couple of years.
I am looking at buying a new 4-stroke.
My question is.....Will a 4-stroke 15HP give the same performance as my old 2-stroke 20hp....or do I need to replace with a 20hp?
An off hand guess is the new 4-strokes weigh approximately 35-50 lbs more also.

DNO

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be sure to check the rating of H.P. on your boat .I went with a 2 stroke because of the weight , I would have had to drop in H.P. on the 4 stroke due to the extra weight .

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would imagine you would need a 25 or 30hp to equal an old 20hp 2-stroke.

Exactly. Extra HP to over come the weight difference.
Ikothe, have you tried running sea foam through the fuel system? You can run almost 50% to really clean out those carbs. Sounds like there is a port plugged.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carb was pulled completely apart the other day, cleaned up and reinstalled. Fired up but kept flooding, believe float/needle wasn't working. Went ahead and disassembled again but haven't put it back on yet.
Next dry day I'll work on it some more.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my older OMC engines, I try to rebuild the carbs and change out the water pump impellers every year. I've also gotten to where I carry a spare fuel pump with me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Running too rich if its loaded up at idle and cleans out at high rpm. Change the needle and seat? Float still floating? I've worked on one with a leak in the float.

Latest posts

Top Bottom