New Pythons on the way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I thinks its great if colt brings back a DA revolver. Having owned several snakes (python, cobra, diamondback, anaconda) over the years, and although they're nice guns, I wish I still had them so could resell them at current prices.
The only DA colt I now have is the 2" lawman mk3 and its for trade if someone has a S&W that I might want.

I still have two Colt's, a Gen-II Detective Special .38Spl, and a 1903 .32ACP.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still have two Colt's, a Gen-II Detective Special .38Spl, and a 1903 .32ACP.
The last 2 DA colts I had were a detective special and agent (alloy frame). Little larger than a S&W J-frame but held 6 shots.
Now as to autos (1911), I still have one of those. (WW2/ 1943) and a pre-A1 (post WW1)
My sister has an old .25 auto she packs in her boot while trail riding her horses.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have several DA Colt revolvers. Two Anacondas, two Lawman MkIII's, a couple of Police Positive Specials (from whence the Detective Special was derived) an Old Model Trooper, and a couple of others.

One of my Holy Grail guns is a Metropolitan MkIII, essentially a 38 special version of the Lawman, mainly issued to NYPD in the early 1970's. The Colt Lawman was a 357 Magnum.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now, Colt could screw up a wet dream. Their management issues are about to kill the company.

I'm just amazed it didn't die anytime in the last 25 or 30 years. The sole and only reason was the guberment tit. Pretty sad to watch actually, even though their revolvers would be expensive I think there's a market and they would sell. They always try to compete cost and sales wise with the Glocks of the world and well, we have what we have now. Failure. If they had the business sense to scale to their market they could still do well.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm just amazed it didn't die anytime in the last 25 or 30 years. The sole and only reason was the guberment tit. Pretty sad to watch actually, even though their revolvers would be expensive I think there's a market and they would sell. They always try to compete cost and sales wise with the Glocks of the world and well, we have what we have now. Failure. If they had the business sense to scale to their market they could still do well.

Just like for years they tried to compete with S&W, and always came up short. They never understood that to be competitive they needed more plain-jane guns than pretty guns, and keep the price lower too.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like for years they tried to compete with S&W, and always came up short.
+1
And IMO if colt reintroduces a DA revolver based on same design and manufacturing techniques (even current CNC), it will be hard to compete with S&W, Ruger, etc. unless they resort to investment casting, MIM parts, etc.
IIRC, the lawman and post-python troopers used sintered metal internals, while python used forged parts. I'm not a colt expert though.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1
And IMO if colt reintroduces a DA revolver based on same design and manufacturing techniques (even current CNC), it will be hard to compete with S&W, Ruger, etc. unless they resort to investment casting, MIM parts, etc.
IIRC, the lawman and post-python troopers used sintered metal internals, while python used forged parts. I'm not a colt expert though.
The earliest ones did. Then, IIRC, they dropped the sintering after a couple of years or so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom