New to Ham Radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

OKCBulldog

Any Ham operators on ok shooters? Getting ready for tech test and wondering about experienced operators thoughts on my choice of the Yeasu FT-7900R as a starter rig. Any advice?

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always had good luck with Yaesu equipment. The radio you mentioned would do you a good job. It does not do "crossband repeat" though. Although that might not be a concern to you at this point.

As far as the handheld vs. mobile is concerned, it depends on how you will be using the radio the most. Do you want something to hook up in the house-in the car-to carry with you???? How much power do you think you will need. Do you take a lot of road trips? Do you just need to reach the local repeaters?

These are some questions you might need to think about.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
welcome, I also have Yaesu radio, it's not a handheld, but rather one you can mount in the car to work with a car power adaptor, or you can use at home with a power supply converter, Have had it 15 years, haven't used it in probably 2-3 years but it was working fine, even after baking in my car for all those years in the summers. I need to get it back out and get back into it, I am forgetting alot of the things about the Ham world without keeping up and using my radio.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have always had good luck with Icom equipment. Don't get on ham radio that much anymore since the internet seems to have taken over!
K5JJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom