1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

New to sbrs

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by gfercaks33, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Fredkrueger100

Fredkrueger100 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I was thinking of getting a pap m92 ak pistol and later adding a stock to it. I found a folding stock that you attach in a similar manner to the arm braces. A lot easier than having someone drill out the truniuon and attaching the stock. I was gonna put a brace on it first until I get the tax stamp back. Can I order the stock now? I wouldn't attach it until get the stamp back of course. Just have the extra money right now to go ahead and get the stock.

2. Fyrtwuck

Fyrtwuck Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have several 5.56 uppers that I switch and swap just for the fun of it. 7.5, and 10.5 piston uppers. And a 10.5 DI upper.

3. NikatKimber

NikatKimber Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    Short answer, no.

4. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Nikat is correct. See the answer to question 12 at the following link:

http://www.nibin.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-short-barreled-rifles-shotguns.html

Q: May a FFL or an individual legally possess the parts to manufacture an SBR or SBS as long as no firearms are actually assembled?

A FFL (Type-7 or Type-10) who pays the Special Occupational Tax (SOT) may possess parts required to assemble NFA firearms. A non-licensee or FFL who has not paid the SOT is required to register any NFA firearm via an ATF Form 1 (5320.1) prior to acquisition of the parts required to assemble such firearm.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  5. gfercaks33

gfercaks33 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That's the grey area that confuses me, if I have a pistol and a rifle that's kosher, but what if I have a built pistol and a stock just as spare parts is that safe? Or is the issue if I have a stock ear marked for it just waiting on the paperwork?

6. technetium-99m

technetium-99m Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    My 12.5" rifle is nice and handy. With a suppressor it's just a bit longer than a 16" gun with a flash hider. It's hearing tolerable and hopefully a little more gentle on the baffles.

7. Fredkrueger100

Fredkrueger100 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Thanks for the answer guys. Don't want to get into trouble.

8. NikatKimber

Rating
    100%
    You should never have all the parts available to complete the transition.

For instance, I have 2 AR rifles, and the AR pistol. Having the parts installed on the other guns does NOT constitute constructive intent.

However having the parts necessary to make it a rifle in your parts bin does.

9. gfercaks33

gfercaks33 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Gotcha, that kind of puts a damper on things if you say got a bunch of spare parts in a trade or you switched from fixed stock to an adjustable one on a different rifle in the middle of a sbr build.

10. NikatKimber

Rating
    100%
    Agreed. I think the "constructive intent" is bogus myself. Beyond the whole SBR thing in the first place. How far could they take it?

I own a hacksaw, does that mean I have constructive intent to own a bunch of SBRs and SBSs? What's to stop me from swapping uppers and having a 20" barreled pistol and an SBR? I own the tools to take the uppers apart and swap barrels also.

Being alone with a 12 year old girl doesn't make me guilty of rape, or owning a fast car doesn't make me guilty reckless driving, but somehow owning spare parts for my rifles means I'm breaking the NFA?