New TV......LED or LCD?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing about plasma is they give off a LOT of electrical noise,such as interference on other equipment. I am a ham radio operator and have witnessed this on friends equipment. A plasma tv can be anywhere within 100ft of a radio receiver and you get nothing but "white noise" on all frequencies. This my not be a problem for you but it sure stopped me from buying plasma.
Just my $.02

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LED/LCD - Samsung or Sony LED
If you go Plasma - Panasonic. I have done extensive comparison and will probably go with the Samsung LED when I get rid of the ole RCA rear projection...

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both are good, I have an LCD and its awesome. If you wanna shell out the money and get an led go ahead but you might as well be the cool kid on the block if your gonna do that and just up it to 3D tv. To me there was no significant difference. Whatever you do though dont get a plasma screen. If you leave them on for awhile they can end up burning images into the screen and you will be up the creek on that new tv.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 47"( yes 47" not 46") LCD/LED Vizio I bought for my Man-Cave.....den. Love it!!! GREAT picture, excellent sound....no need for a sound bar or a surround sound, and its about 2 1/2" to 3" in width.

I bought it at Wal-Mart, and bought a two year warranty. They told me it would go into affect when the Vizio 1 year warranty runs out. *****This TV does more than I know about or want to.....it has bluetooth, weather reports, goes into the internet(wireless), would let me rent Netflicks through it......and a lot more stuff I don't even know...nor want to know about!!! Yes, my TV is smarter than me!!!

All in all.........I have had no problems, great picture and sound, and every so once in a while.....it updates through the internet..???

Cohiba

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both are good, I have an LCD and its awesome. If you wanna shell out the money and get an led go ahead but you might as well be the cool kid on the block if your gonna do that and just up it to 3D tv. To me there was no significant difference. Whatever you do though dont get a plasma screen. If you leave them on for awhile they can end up burning images into the screen and you will be up the creek on that new tv.

Burn in is an issue when the technology first came out, but is virtually non-existant now, and has been for a year or so. I wouldn't get a 3D television for probably 2-3 years because it is brand new technology with a lot of room for improvement, I mean they just recently came out with non battery powered glasses, and I think 3D will go through a lot of changes in the next few years. LED's have much superior screen brightness, which can be used to adjust the screen to avoid glare, etc which is its biggest advantage over LCD (and is a big advantage and got rid of Plasma's picture superiority too). Make sure if you get an LED to get a back lit, not a edge lit box otherwise you wont see this advantage...

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt read these other posts but IMO I depends on your wallet. I recently bought a 55'' samsung LCD, 120hetrz TV. The hertz have to do with the refresh rate or how many picture changes per whatever the rate is. The LED tv's are higher in price. the difference that I know of is the thickness of the tv and i believe the LED tv's have a better BLACK than the other tv's and may have a little bit better picture. The plasmas are a 600 hertz and give off more heat than a fireplace and use more power. I may be wrong about these things just my opinionand what little i learned about them before i purchaced mine. If i had the money i would have bought LED probably or just wait for the 4d tv's to come out!!

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the following in my house:

40" Samsung LCD 530 series
52" Samsung LCD 650 series
50" Samsung Plasma 500 series
60" Samsung LED 6500 series

They each have their pro's and con's, and I have tv's that are anywhere from 4 years to brand new. Hands down, the new LED I have is a awesome TV to the point that we hardley ever go to watch a movie these days. I just rent a BlueRay movie and stay home and save the money. I got the 60" for $2400 at Bestbuy this last November.

Latest posts

Top Bottom