NEWBEE here, got questions and comments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punisher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off let me thank you guys for putting up with me resurrecting a year and a half old thread, http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38611

Your feedback was helpful.

But now I'm back with thinking out loud. Your feedback is welcomed.

Well, I just don’t know any more. I’m new to all this, so bare with me.

This is my first gun, and my knowledge is very basic. I carried a 1911 back in the day while an MP in the Army. But that was very different then. Now I plan on concealing it. I have shot a 357 magnum snub nose, 38 special, 9mm and of course 45, but not the 40cal. Plus I am still waiting for the county to issue my license. So I have time to figure things out.

Last month, I went to a gun convention and handled many different guns. The one that fit my hand like a glove was a police used stainless 40cal. I don’t even know what model. But it looks like the 4003. It was silver stainless, black de-cocking lever on both sides, (I’m a lefty) slide lock and sights. I don’t recall seeing anything that said TSW or even tactical. But when I gripped that gun, it felt great! And the price was great too.

But just today, I went snooping at the local gun shop, and now I just don’t know.

I really like the silver stainless!! And they had a 9mm stainless similar to the 40cal I want to buy. BUT, they also had the new M&P models just sittin there. I asked if it was possible to change the mag release on the silver to the other side. They said no. it’s a different mag and the frame isn’t designed this way. One guy in the shop struck up a conversation with me, and we discussed the new M&P and some of the features.

The mag lock CAN be changed to the other side, the slide lock is on both sides. This is great for us south-paws! He took it out of the case, and let me take a look at it. It didn’t feel as good in my hand like the silver one did. The grip on the compact model really needs to be a round or two longer. Plus it’s all black. And I personally do not like polymers. For me, some things just aren’t meant to be made from plastic. So I left the shop thinking………………

On the way home, I stopped at Gander Mountain to see if they had the middle size M&P as the shop only had the compact and full frame. Gander didn’t, however, they did have a TSW that was the full stainless version. DAMN that thing was heavy!! Not like the one from the gun show.

In a nut shell,
Silver model
Pros: Silver stainless black accents and grips, Fits hand like a glove.
Cons: Older model, Used, made for right handers.

M&P
Pros: Convertible for lefty, New model,
Cons: Black all over, Plastic frame. Compact didn’t fit like a glove.

So there ya go guys, whatcha think??

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds as if you fondled a Smith & Wesson 3rd gen semi-auto, in the 40xx series. Smith made several variants, most of which I couldn't tell you without doing a little Googlin'. ;)

What I CAN tell you is that the Smith & Wesson 3rd gen autos are what I consider the best kept secret in the world of bottom feeders. I think they are truly remarkable weapons - some of the finest around...but alas, they get overshadowed by their polymer brethren and brethernettes. :rolleyes2

If I ever buy another auto, chances are it's gonna be a stainless steel 3rd gen S&W. Probably a 4006 or a 5906. Those are the ALL stainless steel models.

The "heavy" one(s) that you mentioned. :thumb:

apictures.auctionarms.com_3076111429_a6edf968ad822bebcf8176dfe5f5df36.jpg

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By any chance is there a range that rents guns near you?
You might try shooting a couple of the rounds you mentioned and see if you like one over the rest.
Also you might be able to fondle several different auto's and find something else you like.
I know that sounds like I'm making things more confusing for you.
But all I'm really saying is that if you're still waiting on your permit you should still be shopping.
Narrow it down to a caliber you like first. Then check out what's out there.

But like GED said the S&W's are real good values that often go overlooked.
I'd carry one if I had it for sure.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
SOG and other places sometimes have great deals on 4003 "Police trade-ins." I shoot lefty too, but I've learned to live with a mostly right handed gun world.

Oh, and if the 4003 fts you like a glove, you must have some meaty paws!

Jpt

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
M&P full size. you can change the grip sizes.. 3 to choose from. It is by far the best semi-auto Smith and Wesson makes. I love them. I have the 9 pro for my competition gun and the 9c with night sights for carry. Love it.

B

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i bought a 4506 at the gunshow and a have a 4043 inbound from summit. i like the 4506 quite a bit, it fits my hand better than a 1911 and the frame doesnt dig into my hand like a 1911 does

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i bought a 4506 at the gunshow and a have a 4043 inbound from summit. i like the 4506 quite a bit, it fits my hand better than a 1911 and the frame doesnt dig into my hand like a 1911 does

UHOH!!!! You got the bug!!!!! Next it'll be a 3913 or 6906. Or a 639, or..........:Heya:

Punisher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
M&P full size. you can change the grip sizes.. 3 to choose from. It is by far the best semi-auto Smith and Wesson makes. I love them. I have the 9 pro for my competition gun and the 9c with night sights for carry. Love it.

B

Yep, I saw that. Dont really know if that would change things tho. My hand was sweaty and the grip that was installed just didnt feel right. Perhaps I need to have them change out the grips.

Ohh I also asked them if they were an FFL dealer so I could buy something online. They are. and when I asked about that, he kinda lost interest in me. He still answered my questions, but I got the feeling that he felt that I wasnt gonna buy anything from him, so he didnt want to invest the time with me.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've said you don't like Tupperware. Most of us didn't until we carried and shot them a bunch. It makes me respect Glocks a lot. The new Gen IV Glocks have a changeable backstrap, as well as an ambi mag release. Lefty's really aren't giving up much with a standard mag release; John Browning (1911 John) was a lefty. Most lefty's I know just use their trigger finger, which shouldn't be in the trigger guard while they are reloading anyway.

Beware some of the well used and carried 4 digit S&W auto's. Several agencies were very pleased to get their unreliable and finicky 4046's gone.

You are doing the exploring thing; that's great. Keep looking and learning!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I highly agree with the recommendations to shoot several before buying. Also, something to consider is that if you get a used Glock or S&W M&P the resale doesn't lose much, so you won't lose much if you decide to change.

Latest posts

Top Bottom