Next purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desperado676

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the next addition to the safe should be. I've got a reliable pistol and shotgun. I'm hoping you all can help me figure out what I should get first to be well-rounded. I have a cheap AR-15 in 5.56 but I wouldn't call it reliable. The biggest question is if I should go for a better light rifle, a dedicated hunting rifle, something more modular and flexible, or a compact carbine. I don't like pistol caliber ARs so I'd rather look for something else in the carbine category.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Truthfully that is question you and only you can answer and deciding on what your planning on using it for and your own personal preference, but i would first concentrate on getting the AR you already have running reliable before moving on to something else unless something your really looking for pops up at a good price or if they are hard to come by.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome @Desperado676

If it was me and I had what you have I would go for a Bolt gun.
My absolute favorite is my Savage .308 10 PT SR.
Second in line is a bit less money and is a Savage axis in .223

Desperado676

Marksman
Reaction score
@rickm
I understand that to a point but when i said cheap I meant I'd be getting a new upper assembly to make it "reliable". I don't necessarily trust the lower internals either.

@swampratt
I love Savage rifles but if I go with a bolt action it'll be a higher caliber. Any recommendations on a .300 Win Mag? If not, .30-06 is close to my heart as well.

Almost forgot I have a .22-250 I wouldn't trade for anything so I'm set on small caliber bolt action.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 30-06 rifles in Mossberg 100ATR and took the Savage .308 and the 30-06
out for a shooting match trying to shoot 700 yards with high winds across a valley.

I had wind in my face and from left and from the right and from behind the bullet.
Very difficult to hit the rock pile.
400 and 450 yards was super easy for either one and 700 yards no hits from either rifle.
On a calmer day 5-10 MPH winds straight across a field shooting 500 yards both rifles would hold under 5" group.

.308 was a wee bit tighter.
Short heavy barrel 18" on the 308 and pencil barrel 22" on the 30-06.

I have a safe for the Mossberg hand load with 155gr bullet 3176 fps. No sticky bolt at all at 100 degree temp.

I have never had the need for anything larger than 30-06.
I have often thought of a heavy barrel 30-06.

But what I have now gets the job done.

Desperado676

Marksman
Reaction score
I have 2 30-06 rifles in Mossberg 100ATR and took the Savage .308 and the 30-06
out for a shooting match trying to shoot 700 yards with high winds across a valley.

I had wind in my face and from left and from the right and from behind the bullet.
Very difficult to hit the rock pile.
400 and 450 yards was super easy for either one and 700 yards no hits from either rifle.
On a calmer day 5-10 MPH winds straight across a field shooting 500 yards both rifles would hold under 5" group.

.308 was a wee bit tighter.
Short heavy barrel 18" on the 308 and pencil barrel 22" on the 30-06.

I have a safe for the Mossberg hand load with 155gr bullet 3176 fps. No sticky bolt at all at 100 degree temp.

I have never had the need for anything larger than 30-06.
I have often thought of a heavy barrel 30-06.

But what I have now gets the job done.
Sounds like a good rifle to me. I've always been partial to Mossberg shotguns but the only one of their rifles I've researched is the Patriot and I pretty much only found negative reviews on it. The 100 ATR looks promising though. What's the model of your Savage?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Savage is a model 10 PT SR got it at Academy for just under 600 out the door.
If it got stolen I would go right down and get another one I like it that much.

Yea my buddy got the Patriot in 308 and it had issues.
I fixed them and it is much better now.

The 100ATR rifles with scope used to be able to get them for 250.
I have 2 of the .223 Axis rifles and if the Axis in 30-06 shoots as good they may be a winner.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me, I would fix what I have or trade up to a better rifle. I am not an AR fan but according to lots of guys here they should be reliable, and if not you should not depend on it if things get bad. Now if you are old and in less than great health like me, it does not matter as much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom