Nickel Finish Revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All,

Does anyone have first hand experience with Colt Nickel finished revolvers?

I'm looking at a Colt SAA(Peacemaker) in nickel finish, and I'm wondering how it wears against muzzle blast? Eventuall it will flake off....right?

Is there any way to prevent flaking? What care should be given to nickel finishes? Anyone send back a Colt revolver(back to Colt Firearms) to have them refinish a revolver?? Cost??

Thanks!
Cohiba

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nickle will chip and wear over several years of hard use. Gunnickle is softer than hardcrome and if you rub it enough( like holster wear) if will wear off.

If you use a solvent like Hoppes 9 and it gets under any flaw in the nickle plate... it will break the bond between the nickle and the steel under it. Most of the nickled pistols I've owned cleaned up with an oily rag and elbow grease.

Based on what I've seen on old SAA's (1st and Second Gens) and old SW hand ejectors... your kids will be shooting a pretty pistol years after your gone.

Cant' help with a refinsh cost... never had to buy one (yet)

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a nickel plated Diamondback many years ago. I never had a problem with it at all. Just wiped it down with an oily rag on occasion. Of course, regular cleaning after shooting it.

If you're having a problem, I'm sure Colt will fix it, but for a price. I think if you want it to keep that look, and you're having problems, I'd find someone to hard chrome it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom