NO BRAKES !! in my 57 chevy. At a bad moment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I broke both drive shafts about a year ago on a sand rock hill climb just after crossing a canyon pond dam. One side of the dam dropped off into a pond, the other dropped off the backside a long ways. Well, I heard the POP and let out of the skinny pedal and mashed the square pedal. I eased backwards off the the steep part but still on a decent slope. I put it in park to step out and survey the damage. Stepped out and the door hit me and the Blazer was rolling backwards. (For size comparison, the floorboard hits me about the belly button, I am 6' tall) I dive in toward the brake pedal and mash as hard as I can with my hand, stopping it. I hold it until somebody can fetch a log to chalk a tire.
The gf and her friend were appreciative.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I broke both drive shafts about a year ago on a sand rock hill climb just after crossing a canyon pond dam. One side of the dam dropped off into a pond, the other dropped off the backside a long ways. Well, I heard the POP and let out of the skinny pedal and mashed the square pedal. I eased backwards off the the steep part but still on a decent slope. I put it in park to step out and survey the damage. Stepped out and the door hit me and the Blazer was rolling backwards. (For size comparison, the floorboard hits me about the belly button, I am 6' tall) I dive in toward the brake pedal and mash as hard as I can with my hand, stopping it. I hold it until somebody can fetch a log to chalk a tire.
The gf and her friend were appreciative.

Could have ended like the guy who had his head run over(door hit him and knocked him under his truck).... you're a lucky man. I had a brake master cylinder fail once. I was doing about 35 coming up to a T section in a neighborhood. This was back in my younger days(living in CA) when I drove a lot more agressive(drive fast and brake hard). Hit the brakes and straight to the floor. I downshifted to first and pulled the E-brake just in time to stop before jumping the curb. Luckily it was in the summer because that was a spot where kids usually wait for the bus.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could have ended like the guy who had his head run over(door hit him and knocked him under his truck).... you're a lucky man. I had a brake master cylinder fail once. I was doing about 35 coming up to a T section in a neighborhood. This was back in my younger days(living in CA) when I drove a lot more agressive(drive fast and brake hard). Hit the brakes and straight to the floor. I downshifted to first and pulled the E-brake just in time to stop before jumping the curb. Luckily it was in the summer because that was a spot where kids usually wait for the bus.

I wasn't smoking the J.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glad ur ok n nothing bad came of it.

My story happened on the track at Maple grove. Lost brakes on my 64 impala while shutting down. Ended up in the sand at end of track.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have thought about a dual mc for my 56, guess that should be put on the "winter" list of things to do. Using the overdrive it freewheels, emgergency bk would be all I would have. Thanks for the info in the post. Good reminder.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was involved in a similar situation in 1967 or 68 in a '57 convertible. I was a back seat passenger and we were on a residential street during school hours going to an assembly across town from the high school where our old auditorium was located. We were behind a line of other kids stopped at a stop sign when the driver yelled "Oh, $#!^, no brakes!" and jerked the steering wheel to the right and jumped the curb, crossed a couple of lawns and wound up in the street with no damage. Right front wheel cylinder.

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom