No good deed goes unpunished....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Detroit groundskeeper fired after finding loaded gun, handing it to cops
Published May 15, 2012
FoxNews.com

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/1...ing-it-to-cops/?test=latestnews#ixzz1ux0HYCWx

A Detroit groundskeeper, who turned in a loaded handgun he found hidden in weeds while working, was fired by the city’s Department of Public Services, MyFoxDetroit reports.

John Chevilott, who is just two years shy of retirement, found the loaded snub-nosed revolver on May 3 when he and his crew were mowing a lawn in Wayne County. Chevilott secured the gun, waiting for police to drive by so he could hand it over to them.

But, according to the station, the Detroit police never did pass by, so Chevilott finished his work that day, drove the gun home and later that same evening turned it into his local police department.

He says the cops ran the gun and discovered the weapon had been stolen from St. Clair Shores in 2005.

"They said I did the right thing getting it off the street," Chevilott told MyFoxDetroit.

However, Chevilott's superiors at the Department of Public Services had a much different opinion. His foreman, who had knowledge of the situation, was suspended for 30 days, and after 23 years on the job, Chevilott was fired for violating department policies.

Continued... see link above.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lesson learned. Next time leave the weapon there where you found it and do not get involved. That seems to be what the City wants. I would even be leery of reporting it as I might be accused of planting it there.

Michael

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One way of helping cut their retirement costs. My kids used to ask why I don't trust the government, local, federal or state, they quit asking that a few years ago.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just another example why Detroit is considered to be the &%$$#$ of America...

I think a wrongful termination lawsuit should be a slam dunk. But even if he is awarded half of Detroit, he still wont have anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom