Non-Corrosive Berdan Primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought ammo that said on the box "non-corrosive Berdan Primed". I thought berdan primers were corrosive from researching Mosin's and their ammo. Is newer manufactured ammo with berdan primers not corrosive? Is Berdan just a style of primer? Just like a boxer primer is simply a style of primer? Is it possible that a boxer primer could be corrosive if someone ever wanted to put out that product for some strange reason?

I've run it through my AR and I am wondering how meticulous I should be about getting it clean?

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you use Hoppes it neturalizes the corrossive salts.
You don't need to go crazy, I have cleaned and repaired hundreds of Mosins, Usi, SKS, and AK's and even though they were not cleaned well out on the battlefield they still were not as corroded or pitted as I have seen US made hunting rifles and rimfires that were left just one season without cleaning.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Corrosive has to do with the compound in the primer, not the type of it. Older military surplus is corrosive due to the ingredient availability for the most part.

Berdan is a different type of primer with two flash holes, boxer has one. Berdan is reloadable, though most people don't mess with them. Here is a Wiki page with some info that might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berdan_primer#Berdan_primer

M

milsurp

I think from the 70's on up the berdan stuff is non corrosive but dont quote me on that and always clean your gun like its corrosive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom