Norinco 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought that’s what the definition of a clone was.
Then what’s the non clone original?
A norinco is based off 1911 specifications which is ultimately what JM Browning laid out when he designed it originally. Things like frame hole placement, pin diameters, and geometry. Guns that follow this are simply 1911s. Call them clones, but what are they clones of? Are colt 1911a1’s the only non clone 1911?
I think it might just be a semantic thing we have gotten into.
I think this way from a fixing and and building viewpoint. If something doesn’t work on a 1911 it’s because some aspect of their standard specification is not correct, and so I can measure things, and diagnose and fix, because it’s a 1911, and build like one.
Llamas do some weird stuff with their frames if I recall.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
A norinco is based off 1911 specifications which is ultimately what JM Browning laid out when he designed it originally. Things like frame hole placement, pin diameters, and geometry. Guns that follow this are simply 1911s. Call them clones, but what are they clones of? Are colt 1911a1’s the only non clone 1911?
I think this way from a fixing and and building viewpoint. If something doesn’t work on a 1911 it’s because some aspect of their standard specification is not correct, and so I can measure things, and diagnose and fix, because it’s a 1911, and build like one.

I thought clones were off spec. Not mil spec. Clones are like the original.

Like the llama 1911 I have, the frame is slightly bigger. Normal 1911 mags don’t work, but parts will interchange but will all have to be fitted. Lots of filing.

I also may be completely wrong. This is just what little information I remembered from researching Llama 1911’s. I’d have to pull my Llama out and put it side by side to my other 1911’s and actually look close. And before you knock me for having a Llama it’s because it was a gift to me from my father. 🤣

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

“Llama were made in Spain by a company named Gabilondo y Urresti. All of their 1911 style firearms are varients of the 1911 with less than 50% of the parts being interchangeable, unlike the Argentinian DGFM-FMAP Sistema pistols, which are true clones. They track more along the lines of the Ballestero - Molina Argentinian pistols in terms of interchangeability.”

I guess I was wrong on how many parts interchange

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
“Llama were made in Spain by a company named Gabilondo y Urresti. All of their 1911 style firearms are varients of the 1911 with less than 50% of the parts being interchangeable, unlike the Argentinian DGFM-FMAP Sistema pistols, which are true clones. They track more along the lines of the Ballestero - Molina Argentinian pistols in terms of interchangeability.”

I guess I was wrong on how many parts interchange
Different trigger +++, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom