This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to a local pawn shop here in Tulsa and they had 2 Norinco MAK90 stamped recievers for sale; A had newer furniture with an A2 birdcage and it was $849 and B had the orange furniture and a rail mount and it was $799, I almost bought B today but needed verification of my address but didn't have enough time in the day to go get show proof of my new residency in Tulsa. My question is why is the Gun A is more expensive than Gun B, both are Norinco's, I know they are hard to find and that is why I am purchasing at least 1.

I looked at Gun A and looked at the bolt and the bolt carrier no rust and had normal wear, however Gun B had some reddish orange dirt or rust on the bolt and bolt carrier, I couldn't examine Gun B bolt because owner would not let me take of rail mount to look under the dust cover, should I take precautions to this? I spoke to the owner and he says if I didn't like it I do have 5 days to decide if I wanted to return it.

I admit though I am still new to guns, but I had been wanting an AK vs AR 15, after many Youtube searches and endless nights of looking up AKs on websites such ar15.com, akfiles.com, and etc, I had my sights on Arsenal SLR 107 but those are hard to find now like they just disappeared and most major websites such as Atlantic Firearms, K-Var.com, and etc were sold out (according to Arsenal from Shot Show 2016 they were going to sell out), then I was like not just spend a couple more hundred on a Arsenal SAM7 milled reciever (buy once cry once however that's about $1400 not including ammo), this AK I was planning to buy was going to be MY GO TO (self-defense, hunting, planking, etc.) and eventually maybe a family heirloom, I saw RobSki from AK Operators Union torture test of 1000rds recently on a Arsenal SLR-107 and I was not impressed, I've looked at DDI AK's heard a lot of mixed reviews, although USA made which is awesome and I definitely didn't want no WASR 10. I finally decided for a Norinco Mak 90, from other internet AK enthusiasts MAK90 are still pretty much BADASS (prices are going up for them) and when I finally got my chance to finally hold one at the shop, I felt like little boy being shown a woman's beautiful BOOBIES and pink flower (HELL YEA!) I was jumping for joy, my wife could tell I wanted it so bad and she said those magical words, "it's yours if you want it!" I was like THANK TO THE AWESOME WIFE, I am walking out today with this B****!

However, unfortunately since I haven't updated my address on my license I had to wait to get something to prove my residency, I told my wife I would sleep on it, but however she knows I have my eyes on it for Monday. Now my question to the community and the AK experts what should I look for when buying either Norinco AK? I understand check the rivots, make sure sights aren't canted (they seem straight, but not an expert), check bolt and bolt carrier for any rust, please add to the list.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you find any chinese ak in decent condition for $400...buy it. The last mak I bought was at an okc gun show a few months ago for $600 and it was a steal. I would never go over $700 for any post ban neutered AK but you are on the right path wanting a mak vs a wasr...I wonder how long it takes for you to realize the AR is superior. Hollaaaaaa.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you find any chinese ak in decent condition for $400...buy it. The last mak I bought was at an okc gun show a few months ago for $600 and it was a steal. I would never go over $700 for any post ban neutered AK but you are on the right path wanting a mak vs a wasr...I wonder how long it takes for you to realize the AR is superior. Hollaaaaaa.

I was thinking if he's offer for $799 I would like some mags and ammo on it, but when I was at the shop I was just going to take it how it was with a 30rd steel mag surplus, I love AR 15's too, the AR 15 has endless possibilities, in time I will get a battle rifle ar15.

I was planning to go to the last Wanenmacher Gun show however most AK's were WASRs, NPAPs, nothing to exciting.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good choice on the Mak 90. It's been the best AK I've owned. While I'm not the most up to date person on prices, both sound pretty high. I know I got my milled receiver for less than that. If you're in a hurry to buy a rifle and eventually will have both an AR and AK, I'd suggest to buy an AR for now as they're plentiful and you can build a nice one for the same price you're about to pay for the AK. Then take your time and find a good deal on an AK that you can inspect. I wouldn't buy a gun that the seller won't let me inspect.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd suggest to buy an AR for now as they're plentiful and you can build a nice one for the same price you're about to pay for the AK. Then take your time and find a good deal on an AK.

If you want to hit anything past 150 yards build you an AR and win.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good choice on the Mak 90. It's been the best AK I've owned. While I'm not the most up to date person on prices, both sound pretty high. I know I got my milled receiver for less than that. If you're in a hurry to buy a rifle and eventually will have both an AR and AK, I'd suggest to buy an AR for now as they're plentiful and you can build a nice one for the same price you're about to pay for the AK. Then take your time and find a good deal on an AK that you can inspect. I wouldn't buy a gun that the seller won't let me inspect.

Yea I was afraid of that with Gun B he wouldn't let me take of the rail mount to the Mak 90, I wanted it for the resale, but again I am at a dilema, I agree with purchasing an AR 15 and just building and letting be a badass rifle but I am afraid I just won't get another deal like this, however I wouldn't mind putting a couple ar 15s together and getting what I exactly want.

Latest posts

Top Bottom