Not Firearm Related, but Some Firearms Owners also Own RV's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Truma looks like it would be really handy for a quick check. Wonder if it will check a horizontal tank?
To answer a question from above, it's cheaper to refill a tank vs exchange depending on how far you have to drive to fill one as exchanges are everywhere. The exchange rate in Ponca is $18 for a 20lb bottle. Refill is around $15.
I filled two 30lb bottles at Atwoods yesterday for $43 and change.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Truma looks like it would be really handy for a quick check. Wonder if it will check a horizontal tank?
To answer a question from above, it's cheaper to refill a tank vs exchange depending on how far you have to drive to fill one as exchanges are everywhere. The exchange rate in Ponca is $18 for a 20lb bottle. Refill is around $15.
I filled two 30lb bottles at Atwoods yesterday for $43 and change.

Whoa that is double or more than to fill own at the farm. I have never had little bottles filled.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whoa that is double or more than to fill own at the farm. I have never had little bottles filled.
We only have propane to supply the shop heater. Home is total electric.
Since installing a double barrel wood stove two years ago, I've never refilled the horizontal tanks. One is 88 gallon and the other is 108. Usually lasted two winters but not needed at all now and they are empty.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a pretty slick gizmo. I suspect it’s “pinging” the tank similar to how a submarine’s sonar works. Sound travels slower through liquids so it’s been calibrated to act accordingly. FYI it will likely work on any single-walled tank and with any liquid. Don’t have an RV (yet 😬) but I do have several outdoor heaters and grills that all have their own tanks and I just keep an extra. I used to fill my own 20 pound tanks from the 250 gallon tank I have for the house that supplies the range top, two gas fireplaces and my 22KW Generac. When I upsized a few years ago for the genny, the propane dealer got me a rebuilt one from the early 60’s and it happened to have a “nursing” fitting which is connected to a tube that extends to the bottom of the tank where, well, it’s liquid. Unfortunately the NFPA decided we’re all to stupid to fill our own tanks now and made it illegal. Also, if the propane guy ever sees someone hooking a filling hose to that fitting he’s now required to report it and they’ll be put on double timeout top secret probation. Being a law abiding member of society I decided not to ever fill my own tanks again cross my heart. 😉😉

Latest posts

Top Bottom