Now this is a splinter!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a locust tree thorn like I got in my knee years ago.
Swung on a quail hunt to take a bird and felt a sting, but blew it off and continued the hunt.
A week later could barely walk with it getting worse daily.
A trip to the Dr and an X-ray later showed the thorn had worked its way into the knee joint. About 3/4” long and removed in an outpatient clinic.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. Thorn from a honey locust tree. I've got one in my yard that I need removed, but sadly, none of my local tree trimming companies around here will touch it.

Leaves-pods-trunk-honey-locust.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me in graduate school. I was processing a bunch of live fish, and the dorsal spine of one went into my hand at the base of one of my fingers and broke off. I didn’t realize it at the time, and for a couple weeks I had a sore spot in my hand that got infected. One day I cut open the abscess and squeezed. Pus came out, and pop - the 1/2” long spine, just like in that video. *surprised Pikachu face*

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y
Looks like a locust tree thorn like I got in my knee years ago.
Swung on a quail hunt to take a bird and felt a sting, but blew it off and continued the hunt.
A week later could barely walk with it getting worse daily.
A trip to the Dr and an X-ray later showed the thorn had worked its way into the knee joint. About 3/4” long and removed in an outpatient clinic.
yea they got some big nasty thorns

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A log in the eye had a new meaning for me a few years ago. My teenage nephews, my FIL and myself were riding dirt bikes and camping in the Mark Twain National Forest near Chadwick MO.

We were gathering firewood and my nephew threw a big stick towards the pile, problem for me was I was standing between him and the pile and the limb hit me in the face.

My eye took the brunt of the impact and I tried to shake it off, but I couldn’t get my vision to clear up. I checked the eye in the truck mirror and saw what I thought was some debris and tried to pick it out with my finger nails to no avail.
We ended driving to Springfield to the ER to get checked out. Anyway, the doctor used some tweezers and pulled a 3/16” splinter out of my cornea and gave me some antibiotics and pain drops.

We drove back to camp, cooked and ate dinner and got up the next morning and continued our adventure riding the trails.

Latest posts

Top Bottom