NSFW - Open mic night at L.A. Sheriff's Dept.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TMZ got audio of the radio transmissions where an on-duty deputy in L.A. had the microphone accidentally keyed while allegedly getting busy with a female -- at the Bates Motel set on the Universal Studios lot in Hollywood. (Freaky!)
Dispatcher tried to tell the hard charging deputy TWICE that his mic was open but I guess he was too occupied at the time.
From what I read elsewhere on the web, these digital Motorola systems (which rendered my old scanner useless) have all kinds of technology. That's how the dispatcher can override an open mic and transmit anyway.
And every time you transmit, it sends a digital signal that YOU were the one that sent the transmission. No more being anonymous like in the old analog radio days.
I guess they knew the deputy's alleged location at the time by GPS, either in the radio or in the patrol car.

"...A female dispatcher then alerts the deputy that he had an 'open mic' ...
'95 Ocean, you have an open mic,' the dispatcher implores the deputy to no avail as the woman continues to moan on the clip. '95 Ocean, you have an open mic — take care of mic.'
...'The deputy [who was not publicly identified] was immediately relieved of duty and an administrative investigation has been opened,' sheriff’s officials told The Post in a statement early Wednesday. 'The deputy’s peace officer powers have been suspended and proper administrative action will be taken, based on the outcome of the investigation.'"
https://nypost.com/2020/12/23/open-mic-catches-la-deputy-having-sex-at-universal-studios/

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TMZ got audio of the radio transmissions where an on-duty deputy in L.A. had the microphone accidentally keyed while allegedly getting busy with a female -- at the Bates Motel set on the Universal Studios lot in Hollywood. (Freaky!)
Dispatcher tried to tell the hard charging deputy TWICE that his mic was open but I guess he was too occupied at the time.
From what I read elsewhere on the web, these digital Motorola systems (which rendered my old scanner useless) have all kinds of technology. That's how the dispatcher can override an open mic and transmit anyway.
And every time you transmit, it sends a digital signal that YOU were the one that sent the transmission. No more being anonymous like in the old analog radio days.
I guess they knew the deputy's alleged location at the time by GPS, either in the radio or in the patrol car.

"...A female dispatcher then alerts the deputy that he had an 'open mic' ...
'95 Ocean, you have an open mic,' the dispatcher implores the deputy to no avail as the woman continues to moan on the clip. '95 Ocean, you have an open mic — take care of mic.'
...'The deputy [who was not publicly identified] was immediately relieved of duty and an administrative investigation has been opened,' sheriff’s officials told The Post in a statement early Wednesday. 'The deputy’s peace officer powers have been suspended and proper administrative action will be taken, based on the outcome of the investigation.'"
https://nypost.com/2020/12/23/open-mic-catches-la-deputy-having-sex-at-universal-studios/

The digital signal you refer to is called a LID, Logical Identifier. OCPD uses the commission # for handhelds, vehicle # for mobiles. We are on a Harris P25 system, but I dont believe a dispatcher can over ride an open mic. It may be a feature set that we dont have enabled though, I'd have to check. To me it would be an officer safety issue, especially as the radios have an emergency button that when activated makes the mic hot for 5 seconds. Not GPS enabled, so those few seconds are critical for an officer to get important info out such as location etc. If someone over ride it, it could be dangerous.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol ... Of all the places I have done "it" in my life, the back of a patrol car is NOT on that list. That's REALLY dumb ... :oops3:
Jay Leno has done videos on YT about old and new cop cars.
I think it was the California Highway Patrol that ordered Ford SUVs with a special back seat that's easier to clean out all the barf and other bodily fluids.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see why the dispatcher would have an override capability.
If one officer's mic is accidentally pressed down, the dispatcher may need to override that transmission to broadcast to other officers that the first officer needs help.

But the mic is off the air when the button is released? And since everything the dispatcher hears is going over the air, the other officers would hear and know everything the dispatcher hears and knows as well, all the traffic is on the same channel. When the emergency button is pressed, it will emit a tone prior to the mic going hot and keep the mic hot for 5 seconds without any buttons being held down. CAD (computer aided dispatching) will also provide an alert and location on all officers screens. The dispatcher also would likely have less info than the officer in distress, and could keep the officer from getting important info out over the air, such as direction of travel, location, suspect description, etc. I have worked in Public Safety Communication Support for 10 years, and the only time I am aware of a mic going hot was when a radio malfunctioned. I mean, there is an opportunity for anything to happen, but its just as likely for a dispatcher to cut off an important message as it is for the officers mic to be stuck hot. A lot of these feature sets come at an additional cost, and is a way for the companies to make more money off an agency.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it was the California Highway Patrol that ordered Ford SUVs with a special back seat that's easier to clean out all the barf and other bodily fluids.

NO thank you!! I ain't buying it. Ewww ...

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But the mic is off the air when the button is released? When the emergency button is pressed, it will emit a tone prior to the mic going hot and keep the mic hot for 5 seconds without any buttons being held down. CAD (computer aided dispatching) will also provide an alert and location on all officers screens. The dispatcher also would likely have less info than the officer in distress, and could keep the officer from getting important info out over the air, such as direction of travel, location, suspect description, etc. I have worked in Public Safety Communication Support for 10 years, and the only time I am aware of a mic going hot was when a radio malfunctioned. I mean, there is an opportunity for anything to happen, but its just as likely for a dispatcher to cut off an important message as it is for the officers mic to be stuck hot. A lot of these feature sets come at an additional cost, and is a way for the companies to make more money off an agency.
You certainly have more experience in the field than I.
I am not familiar with any kind of emergency button (seems to be what you're talking about).
I'm referring to the regular old "press right here to talk" button.
If the press right here to talk button should accidentally get pressed (by the officer or perhaps a female companion in close quarters), then an accidental transmission goes out over the airwaves until that button is released, I'm thinking.
That could possibly jam up the channel for some time, blocking anyone else's transmission from being heard, I believe.
Therefore, it makes sense *to me* that the dispatcher could override the accidental open mic (not override some kind of emergency button transmission) to tell the officer to fix his open mic, which occurred because the regular old press right here to talk button is depressed.
That's what I'm saying.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Ford doesn't offer it, but some of the companies that offer upfitter solutions do. So like Pro-gard, Setina, etc, the same companies that offer the push bars, cages, window guards, consoles etc do. We tested a few, and its still in service I believe, but it makes an already cramped prisoner compartment even tighter. The other problem is they are expensive (relatively), at $700 bucks a pop, plus our time/labor to install them. This years order is approximately 270 patrol vehicles. That 190k would buy a few more vehicles, since cost before equipment is around $35k on state contract. Thats the same reason OCPD runs all black vehicles, $500+ dollars to wrap the doors white. All that stuff adds up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom