Nvrsatisfied- 2010 deer/yote season post(s)....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never used a call or rattled deer. Seems to work for you though.
Bought a rattling bag once, and had a buck in sight. hit the bag a few times, and he looked up, and went back to feeding.
I'm sure it was at the wrong time of the season. Guess I need to read up on it and watch your posts and learn something.:D

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks, guys...most biggest thanks always goes to my friend for letting me on his place's. with the x-mas break coming up im am going to try and hit some spots for some yotes, its what i like to do the most because i find it a little more challenging. just wish i was in the right place at the right time more often with them....lol.

Dennis for the small amount of time i have been on this forum and talked to ya, you seem to do great! hell i usually follow sometimes what your typing...thats what you old timers are for, right.... :rollingla

as far as me and rattleing goes, i did buy a rattle bag and have yet been able to use it. i was told to use the rattle calls more during the rut doing small burst..."try and sound like two small ones" i heard a guy on TV say, so however the hell you do that, i just looked at the TV dumb founded i'm sure. he continued to say "the big boys will want to run off anything they can that sounds like a small scuffle or their looking for fight also". BUT for me, watching a majority of the deer activities while coyote hunting gets me a pretty good idea of where their moving and what is around. this year's buck was one of them that the rut brought in, we never had seen him till that morning. i knew where they were coming out of that morning and went to position #2, putting me in another right place at the right time and lucky enough that he was in the area. but the does we hunt are easy to time and spot i feel. it just makes me laugh how fast they come in on that fawn bawl. also it's mostly because of the area we hunt them on is a nice open area, with some little brush or tree, so from their bedding area to the feeding field makes spotting them not too bad. overall just try and get out there a few weeks and set up some place and watch your areas is about my best advice....

best of luck to everyone and happy holidays!!!!

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bagged me up a nice yote this evening. Sat in an open area along a fence row. Started around 5:15 looking to the west and wind blowing about 3-4mph to the north. so with my foxpro doing a locater howl, i Let it go threw twice and waited. Nothing. About 5mins later thinking with breeding season coming in I did a female invite. Got a reply to the north but no visual. Went about 5mins. So switched to a baby cotten tail distress, and let it play. Then just caught something moving to the west about 400yds out. Put the scope up and left the caller going, yote trots in a little closer and sits, and keeps setting. That dog would not budge. So I stopped the caller and went to a female invite....WRONG MOVE....YOTE JUMPS UP AND TROTS AWAY. hurried and stopped the call, quickly went to my green lil dog hand call, doing a rabbit distress. That finally got her to turn and move in straight at me. as it trots in and gets about 50yds south of these cows they RUN HER OFF! Im like you gotta be shatting me. So as she trots further to the south I start again with the rabbit but a little bit more higher pitched. Here it comes working left to right. I let the hammer drop and its down with in 95yds.

Come to find out the yote was a female, so I figure this maybe the reason it turned and ran on the female invite. Pics on monday.....

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bagged me up a nice yote this evening. Sat in an open area along a fence row. Started around 5:15 looking to the west and wind blowing about 3-4mph to the north. so with my foxpro doing a locater howl, i Let it go threw twice and waited. Nothing. About 5mins later thinking with breeding season coming in I did a female invite. Got a reply to the north but no visual. Went about 5mins. So switched to a baby cotten tail distress, and let it play. Then just caught something moving to the west about 400yds out. Put the scope up and left the caller going, yote trots in a little closer and sits, and keeps setting. That dog would not budge. So I stopped the caller and went to a female invite....WRONG MOVE....YOTE JUMPS UP AND TROTS AWAY. hurried and stopped the call, quickly went to my green lil dog hand call, doing a rabbit distress. That finally got it to turn and move in straight at me. as it trots in and gets about 50yds north of these cows they RUN IT OFF! Im like you gotta be shatting me. So the yote trots further to the north now, so I start again with the rabbit but a little bit more higher pitched. Here it comes working left to right. it came straight in at me with no chance of a broadside shot so, I let the hammer drop and its down with in 95yds in the neck and out, :zzz:, as far as the yote knows it is still running around out in the field looking for that distressed rabbit, i never let it know i was there.

Come to find out the yote was a female, so I figure this maybe the reason it turned and ran on the female invite. Learning something new one stand at a time.

i1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd500_TKC78_2011_01_291925yote.jpg

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well with the site finally up and going again, here is my damage lately to the yote population. i got permission to hunt some new spots and things have been turning out good for me....

it was on 2/19 i got setup about 4:30 looking north, overlooking this tall grass field and the wind blowing north, but i got scruntched up into a group of cedars so that may of helped with blocking wind off me. did not do anything for awhile because i was new to the spot and wanted to see what would play out. around 5:15 i did a lowesome howl (hand call) and was answered, so sat there and waited for about 20mins nothing. so i did a challenge howl with some barks and got a reply; fast and close. did some more barks and yipping and spotted one running out of the tree line, the yote ran up on this small hill about 150yds out with its tail up and ears back and started acting like it was ready for the fight...making all kinds of growls/barks. so i sent my first punch and down it went. i guess the yote was not told this was gun fight.... :respect: the ol' .223. ended up being a female (must of been that time of month for her...she was so angry :rotflmao:)

went out the following sunday evening over looking the same field, but about 600yds east of previous stand. i took an old horn speaker i had and extened that giveing me a little bit more distance from the caller, worked out great. sat the caller straight down from my right 30yds and then stretched the speaker out, so the call noise all ends up about 40-50yds away from me. Waited till about 5:30 and started out using my fox pro FX3 woodpecker distress,out popped this one about 200yds out and it just sat there, with daylight running out i take the shot, down she went, no problem i thought....so i thought. turns out the yote went down into a bottom i did not really see and ran it for a bit before expireing, she died about 60-70yds from where i shot her, she made it that far with a broke back. tough a$$ dogs.....

got this one out of the same area early last Saturday. did some calling in one spot with the fox pro and nothing, so i wondered to a new area about 400yds east and sat up there. did some distress calls using my hand calls. seemed like nothing again so right before i moved i seen something else move under a cedar, could not really make it out, thought i was going to score my first bob cat. it ran low from one tree to the another. got a good look threw the scope and seen a long nose, so it attempted to run into a brush pile (working its way around me) i dropped it. got up to it and it was all manged up and stunk. so i did my best to dispose of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i went out last saturday morning on the 19th and it was foggy as hell!!! i tried calling one spot and nothing ever came. i rode to another spot about a 1/2 mile away and as soon as i got there i could just barely see one walking the creek about 200 yards away. i creeped through the trees opened up the bipod and looked through the scope. couldnt see it anywhere! i called a few times and about 10 minutes later one showed up to my right were i wasnt looking. i could barely see it to, the fog was so thick. i got 1 shot off and missed. trying to judge distance in thick fog is harder than i woulda thought. i guess i shot just over the back of it. oh well, it was still fun to be out-n-about wondering the woods....i may try again this weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom