Random pre-season ramblings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I go do some work at the property this morning, moving a tripod, setting up two blinds etc. Yes, I know it is too early but I have the itch and am bored. I typically put out two blinds at a time so usually start early August.

I put up my last blind in the woods and was done and look and a ten pointer was about 30 yards away watching me. He didn't run, snort or nothing. I picked up my stuff and left and he never ran. Of course he would likely never do that in season but I thought it was pretty neat to see.

PS - I could only stay until about 9:00, too darn hot and was about to over heat. Gosh I am patiently awaiting for a cold front.

Hopefully you all are getting excited, dove starts in less than a month and then teal before deer. I am ready!

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I go do some work at the property this morning, moving a tripod, setting up two blinds etc. Yes, I know it is too early but I have the itch and am bored. I typically put out two blinds at a time so usually start early August.

I put up my last blind in the woods and was done and look and a ten pointer was about 30 yards away watching me. He didn't run, snort or nothing. I picked up my stuff and left and he never ran. Of course he would likely never do that in season but I thought it was pretty neat to see.

PS - I could only stay until about 9:00, too darn hot and was about to over heat. Gosh I am patiently awaiting for a cold front.

Hopefully you all are getting excited, dove starts in less than a month and then teal before deer. I am ready!
Amen!

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question which does not warrant a new thread but need some perspective. I have some pretty old tripod stands from 2016 which are set up year round. Should I consider changing the nuts and bolts in the future?

I don’t know how long they will last without rusting through and would hate to take a tumble some season.

Thoughts?

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some pretty old tripod stands from 2016 which are set up year round. Should I consider changing the nuts and bolts in the future?

Good question. I too have wondered about my tree stands. I have 5 scattered about and leave them up year round. I’ve wondered about the ratchet straps holding them in place. I climb up preseason and inspect and give a shake here and there but I’m sure that strap deteriorates over time.

As I think about this. It would probably be a good investment to attach a new strap every preseason and cut ( now super tight from tree growth) the old one off.

Last edited:

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good question. I too have wondered about my tree stands. I have 5 scattered about and leave them up year round. I’ve wondered about the ratchet straps holding them in place. I climb up preseason and inspect and give a shake here and there but I’m sure that strap deteriorates over time.

As I think about this. It would probably be a good investment to attach a new strap every preseason and cut ( now super tight from tree growth) the old one off.
I put new straps on every other year. They seem to last 2 years pretty well. Probably should every year but I'm cheap!

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was able to mow plots for about 5 hours Friday and luckily finished before it got over 100. Sprayed roundup around the bunkhouse along with a granule for scorpions. Got some liquid bug killer from our pest control guy so spray the inside a few times a year. Went a little heavier this time after seeing a scorpion on one of the inside roof joists!

I'm reworking a few plots and have a new one this year so plan to get back out in 2 weeks to spray with glyphosate. Then will till them all under before fall planting around Labor Day. Got a couple more ladder stands to put up and start cameras again. Always something to do!

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put new straps on every other year. They seem to last 2 years pretty well. Probably should every year but I'm cheap!
My only problem at my age and mental state I wouldn’t remember when I last did it and if I wrote it down it take me a couple of years to run across where I wrote it down. Yearly might be better for me

Latest posts

Top Bottom