Random pre-season ramblings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was able to mow plots for about 5 hours Friday and luckily finished before it got over 100. Sprayed roundup around the bunkhouse along with a granule for scorpions. Got some liquid bug killer from our pest control guy so spray the inside a few times a year. Went a little heavier this time after seeing a scorpion on one of the inside roof joists!

I'm reworking a few plots and have a new one this year so plan to get back out in 2 weeks to spray with glyphosate. Then will till them all under before fall planting around Labor Day. Got a couple more ladder stands to put up and start cameras again. Always something to do!
We use those flat sticky traps in the corners,etc of the cabin. They work great catching those crawly things like spiders & scorpions

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My only problem at my age and mental state I wouldn’t remember when I last did it and if I wrote it down it take me a couple of years to run across where I wrote it down. Yearly might be better for me
Write it on the strap with a sharpie? Probably fade over time too. Carve the date in the tree? Probably bark grow over. Yeah, yearly is better!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question which does not warrant a new thread but need some perspective. I have some pretty old tripod stands from 2016 which are set up year round. Should I consider changing the nuts and bolts in the future?

I don’t know how long they will last without rusting through and would hate to take a tumble some season.

Thoughts?
Good question. I too have wondered about my tree stands. I have 5 scattered about and leave them up year round. I’ve wondered about the ratchet straps holding them in place. I climb up preseason and inspect and give a shake here and there but I’m sure that strap deteriorates over time.

As I think about this. It would probably be a good investment to attach a new strap every preseason and cut ( now super tight from tree growth) the old one off.
I don’t change ratchet straps but every couple or three years unless one is cut, and I usually save the old ones in case I need it for a camera strap. I sat in a stand last year that still has a strap from 2015 on it, and it’s still solid.
As far as changing bolts, I sit in 20+ year old stands every year and have never had an issue with the original bolts, so I would say unless they’re seriously degraded or about to rust in to, no.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another random question or two for you guys. This one came from watching some “after the kill” videos on YouTube. Some of them say to wait up to 12-24 hours to look for a deer if you don’t think you stuck him good.

Two questions, do any of you wait this long? I never have waited anywhere more than an hour or so. Then if you do, can you pretty much discard the meat or would it still be good after that much time, especially in early season? Some days in October are in the 90s and I can’t imagine a deer that died would still be good many hours later.

Thoughts?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another random question or two for you guys. This one came from watching some “after the kill” videos on YouTube. Some of them say to wait up to 12-24 hours to look for a deer if you don’t think you stuck him good.

Two questions, do any of you wait this long? I never have waited anywhere more than an hour or so. Then if you do, can you pretty much discard the meat or would it still be good after that much time, especially in early season? Some days in October are in the 90s and I can’t imagine a deer that died would still be good many hours later.

Thoughts?
If no other deer are hanging around after a shot, I usually give them about 15 minutes before getting down to find my bolt and blood, but the vast majority of the deer I’ve killed have dropped within sight or close enough I heard the crash.

My youngest son‘s buck from 2020 didn’t go 75 yards, but he couldn’t find him in the dark. When he found him the next morning, he and I discussed whether he should try to salvage the meat. It would’ve probably been ok, but I recommended against keeping it. It already had a purplish green color.

To further answer the question, after 24 hours, there’s going to be a good chance coyotes have chewed on the carcass.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If no other deer are hanging around after a shot, I usually give them about 15 minutes before getting down to find my bolt and blood, but the vast majority of the deer I’ve killed have dropped within sight or close enough I heard the crash.

My youngest son‘s buck from 2020 didn’t go 75 yards, but he couldn’t find him in the dark. When he found him the next morning, he and I discussed whether he should try to salvage the meat. It would’ve probably been ok, but I recommended against keeping it. It already had a purplish green color.

To further answer the question, after 24 hours, there’s going to be a good chance coyotes have chewed on the carcass.
Yes, coyotes will likely get the carcass if left overnight. I try to give a bow shot deer about 30 minutes and then start tracking. I waited overnight one time, found the doe about an hour after daylight with fly's coming and going from the hole the arrow left. Cow patties nearby so I knew the fly's were transferring feces to the deer.
Coyotes and buzzards have to eat too, so left them a meal. It was hot overnight as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom