Occupy has Big Problems~My latest O'Colly column

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For anyone who cares, here is my latest op piece in the O'Colly. It was basically addressing three columns over "the History of Occupy" by a freshman English major OWSer. I had enough of his BS over the past two weeks. I completely expect a response and will post his response on here if y'all want.

Again any criticism (or praise) is welcome. :thumbup3:

Note: I do not write my own titles.

Here is a link to my column:
http://www.ocolly.com/column-occupy-movement-has-big-problems-1.2785986#.Tz_7H_l26Ag

And links to his "history" , in order, if anyone has some time to waste:

Part 1--http://www.ocolly.com/rise-of-the-occupation-part-one-1.2766231

Part 2---http://www.ocolly.com/column-year-of-the-occupation-part-two-1.2769640#.Tz_-dfl26Ag

Part 3---http://www.ocolly.com/column-year-of-the-occupation-part-three-1.2774676

A

av8r115

Glad to see some conservative views expressed in the O'Collegian. When I was at OSU in the late 80's, the O'Colly was a liberal rag useful for birdcages and house-breaking the dog. Then again, if the liberal/conservative ratio is 3:1, I guess it's still a typical college newspaper.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's about four conservative, two center , and probably about 5-7 liberals, so it isn't too bad of a ratio. AND we have a conservative editor this year so it is fairly even.
The liberals seem to output more volume, but that's probably because they aren't engineering majors.:D

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to mention the fact that OWS was started by Adbusters, a Canadian anti-marketing, anti-advertising, anti-capitalism group. These people are following Canadians thinking they are American revolutionaries. Idiots.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to mention the fact that OWS was started by Adbusters, a Canadian anti-marketing, anti-advertising, anti-capitalism group. These people are following Canadians thinking they are American revolutionaries. Idiots.

I didn't have space in this particular column.
But I will certainly have to use that. I knew that Adbusters started the movement but I never even thought about using that approach. Thanks buickfreak!

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My impression is that many Occupy protestors are college students without any experience in the real world and majoring in fluff subjects. Instead of protesting about national and international problems they would be much better off looking in the mirror and asking what they can do to better themselves. I think they sense that they are headed for a cliff in terms of their future career and are resentful. But instead of changing course and doing something different to better themselves, they protest.

If you were going into a large amount of debt to get a degree in a low paying career, it would make more sense to admit your mistake in choosing that major and those student loans. Stop borrowing money and work your way through school if you really, truly want to major in Sociology. Or perhaps switch majors or drop out and learn a good trade.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But you see, we have a RIGHT to higher education (and housing). And health care. But not guns.

A steady diet of public education, liberal college professors and the absence of real world experience fosters such beliefs. Perhaps colleges should have warning labels or signs:"Warning: A degree from this University does not guarantee a job or a high paying job. Let the buyer beware."

But this is nonsense thinking on my part - everyone knows that a college degree is an unmitigated good thing and always pays off for the student. Thus saith the University.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it FDR who made the whole right to housing, education, and care popular back in the New Deal days?
The same FDR who gave Stalin half of Europe and completely destroyed the rights of the Nisei Japanese?

Latest posts

Top Bottom