Off duty officer assault to become felony?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have percentages for you. I doubt any type of official statistical tracking has been done.
I receive emails about police officers being assaulted off duty, their homes being target and their families being harassed every day.
The rise of cop block idiots and other psycho paths has sky rocketed.
I've personally been followed home once this year already, and have a prowler in my backyard this year.
The guy following me was multi felon drug dealer who got to go back to jail, and the prowler was also a felon.
Both admitted to knowing I was law enforcement, and specially targeted me.
Other Co-workers have had the same things done to them.
One co-workers family (kids) were harassed at public ball field just because their father was a police officer.
The guy had no reason to be at the field, he had no children, and had been seen hanging around watching the kids.
It was determined he was specially targeting the kids of police and public officials'.

These are just a few examples from a small town in southern Oklahoma.
I've heard of hundreds of stories of police being targeted.

If I am reading this correctly, you would not support the same standards being applied if someone not in law enforcement was assaulted because of who they are or what they did. Is this correct?

Last edited:

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UrQp5IG.jpg

akatom2u

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If an off-duty LEO or their family are intentionally targeted due to the LE status, I could see having a stalking charge available, along with any other applicable criminal statute. I'm not for modifying the basic assault charge to felony status for special categories of people.
Isn't targeting and planning an attack against any person considered stalking of some type? How about a conspiracy charge?

akatom2u

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think giving extra protection to law enforcement personnel when off duty from being harrassed, stalked, assaulted, etc is a form of giving them extra powers or making them untouchable. Things are weird these days and these people are doing a job not many would want to do. Seems with all of what is going on with law enforcement and the public in recent incidents it has them thinking of the vengeance seekers, stalkers, etc. Ethics though would seem to weigh their actions when off duty same as any citizen. If as the OP states the off duty LEO grabbed his wifes arse and he beaned him on the nose that would seem to weigh differently on the DAs opinion of how to charge the wifes husband for assault than if an officer had been assaulted by a stranger for no reason or someone actually stalked and assaulted them over a beef or whatever. The husband might get a pass, might not.

You just dont pop someone in the jaw these days like you could back in the day especially over something like someone touching or grabbing the wifes booty. Legally if she has proof of it then she needs to make an official complaint about him sexually asaulting her to the authorities and let them deal with him- call 911, etc. Being chivalrous is all fine and good with relations with the wife but you didnt protect your woman you committed an assault as you had no reason to assault this person as you were not defending yourself from this person physically, you were 100% the aggressor. I may have it all wrong, but I police myself different than some for a reason. Some will say what man doesnt protect his wifes respect or whatever? Me. Unless someone is getting overly physical with her then my wife can handle herself, she doesnt need me to step in, I feel for the person who wrongs that woman. Ive never been in any type of law enforcement related employment, etc. Ive been more on the other side, a tattoo artist, a former boxer and martial artist who still lifts weights and boxes for my health at 46.

These days I wouldnt just punch anyone for most anything ever unless it was in defense of myself. We live in such a highly litigious society nowadays, just knowing the trouble it would bring me no matter who it was I punched, an off duty cop or a bus driver, means cooler heads just have to prevail. I have alot to lose today financially and otherwise vs when I was a broke little punk in my 20s, and I do not like sitting in jail. My 2 over nighters in the county sobering up the required 6 hours or whatever have been enough of that for me. Back in the day it was normal for people to take care of things a little differently like out back in the alley or wherever. I was in a lot of fights when I was younger. F that today. There are just too many more ways for people to twist things on you with what seems like cameras coming out of every where any more to catch you doing something you shouldnt be. My son is an up and coming boxer and martial artist with MMA goals down the line and we have had many discussions about what he can and cannot do same as if someone just got their CCW permit. Just because you have the power doesnt mean you have to use it, thats just your ego speaking, you better have a gd good reason and you better be in defense of yourself if you throw that punch or point that weapon at someone.

Just my .02 which doesnt mean a damn thing...
Thanks for your thoughtful post.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If an off-duty LEO or their family are intentionally targeted due to the LE status, I could see having a stalking charge available, along with any other applicable criminal statute. I'm not for modifying the basic assault charge to felony status for special categories of people.

In that case I would want the off-duty LEO or and/or the nearest CCW holder to deal with the threat...I may gripe about examples in the media of heavy-handedness by on-duty cops from time to time, but an off-duty officers has the right to self-defense as much as the next guy; and if they are with their family then it ups the annie more...but I just don't think we need more laws.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Isn't targeting and planning an attack against any person considered stalking of some type? How about a conspiracy charge?

IIRC, stalking statutes are pretty narrowly defined. They were intended primarily for VPO victims, due to the issues with domestic violence. Criminal conspiracy charges require more than one person involved and an intended criminal act. Sometimes these offenders simply want to make the LEO and their family feel vulnerable to a targeted attack.

In that case I would want the off-duty LEO or and/or the nearest CCW holder to deal with the threat...I may gripe about examples in the media of heavy-handedness by on-duty cops from time to time, but an off-duty officers has the right to self-defense as much as the next guy; and if they are with their family then it ups the annie more...but I just don't think we need more laws.

We already have a law for "stalking", it probably just needs expansion on the classifications. Some of these issues don't rise to a use of force threshold.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I am reading this correctly, you would not support the same standards being applied if someone not in law enforcement was assaulted because of who they are or what they did. Is this correct?

More than likely you won't get a serious reply from him based on a previous similar exchange.

Sadly, most states don't recognize that the public "entrap" the police as a criminal charge. But people can go looking invoke encounters with the police.
This video is a prime example.

Point of clarification on the 'sadly' comment:

Does that first sentence imply that you wish they would make it illegal for citizens to attempt to bait cops by doing things that are perfectly legal but arguably questionable in an effort have the officer act in an illegal way?

I think we should take his guns away for being a douche. Maybe even send him to one of the new black sites we run.

Guessing we aren't going to get an answer to the question and that the latest contribution is closer to the truth than not.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is probably true Gabe, but I will leave the question out there for him to answer. I mean, Its pretty obvious what the answer is. The problem is how to answer and not play into the CopBlock idiots hands.

Latest posts

Top Bottom