Oh, I H-A-T-E These People!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the Detroit News:

GM Chief Pushing for Higher Gas Taxes

He suggests as much as $1.00 per gallon. Probably on top of the current federal tax lien on each gallon.

http://detnews.com/article/20110607/AUTO01/106070368/1148/rss25

He also goes so far to say that we should be driving Cruze cars instead of Surburbans.

As for me, I'll stick to my Fords. F-O-R-D = Ford Only Resisted Democrats.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that's pretty absurd, but don't go thinking Ford is beyond reproach.

They didn't take "the bailout", but they did take out about a 9 billion dollar loan from the guberment.

He is right in some ways, though. I'm not advocating more taxes, because frankly the idea is hard to stomach. However, if your goal is to
motivate people to reduce consumption, the only way to make the American populace listen is to hit them in the only place they generally care
about: their pocket-books.

Do I believe the motivations for him saying that are so honorable? Absolutely no. The same motivation that will cause people to listen is the same
reason for which he is advocating. He wants the green!

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that's pretty absurd, but don't go thinking Ford is beyond reproach.

They didn't take "the bailout", but they did take out about a 9 billion dollar loan from the guberment.

He is right in some ways, though. I'm not advocating more taxes, because frankly the idea is hard to stomach. However, if your goal is to
motivate people to reduce consumption, the only way to make the American populace listen is to hit them in the only place they generally care
about: their pocket-books.

Do I believe the motivations for him saying that are so honorable? Absolutely no. The same motivation that will cause people to listen is the same
reason for which he is advocating. He wants the green!

If the goal is to get people to consume less then maybe he should focus their efforts on better fuel efficiency on all their cars, instead of financially forcing people to 1 specific model.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll never own a new car again ... and "they" can't make me ... However, they might talk me into a bicycle if gas prices keep going up ... never thought I'd be this glad I only live a couple of blocks from the grocery store and Sonic ...

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, more of a $5.9 Billion LOAN. Key word - loan....not bailout. There was a story last week that between GM and Chrysler, the taxpayers would end up losing around $14 Billion.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,528409,00.html

The purpose of the loan was to develop more fuel efficient automobiles.

But, what right does either the government or Government Motors have in tellling me what I can drive or to undertake "programs" with which to force me to drive what THEY want?

Shouldn't I be allowed to make the decision of what I drive? I am sick of other people telling me how I should live my life. Give them an inch, and they'll next take your guns.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the goal is to get people to consume less then maybe he should focus their efforts on better fuel efficiency on all their cars, instead of financially forcing people to 1 specific model.

GM is not above the "motivation by money" reality of our society. As long as big vehicles keep selling, they'll keep making them.

It's an extremely reactionary system right now for some. Gas prices go up, (some/many) people start looking for alternatives in their cars, and buy gas efficient models. Big car sales drop off, car makers see this, and begin investing in more fuel efficient cars. The smart manufacturers have seen this coming, and have geared investments this way already.

And, what right does either the government or Government Motors have in tellling me what I can drive or to undertake "programs" with which to force me to drive what THEY want?

Shouldn't I be allowed to make the decision of what I drive? I am sick of other people telling me how I should live my life. Give them an inch, and they'll next take your guns.

They aren't coming out and telling you what to drive, but they are trying to make it too darn expensive for you to do anything other than what they want you to. That's why I said he had part of it right. He's figured out
that you can control the American populace through their wallets because it's true and well all know it. Nobody's going to bankrupt themselves just so they can drive what they want to. Eventually we'll give in. Either that,
or abandon your standard of living completely.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is that increasing gasoline taxes to reduce consumption will only go so far.

The demand curve for gas is extremely inelastic because gas is almost as close to a necessity in the USA today as food. Almost.

Raising taxes on commodities with inelastic demand curves only serves to create black markets for that commodity, increase crime etc.

If the goobermint really wants to switch to green cars (none of their damn business) then the way to do it is to somehow make green cars cheaper than gasoline cars to run, maintain and purchase.

Good luck with that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom